1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

At what point can someone end their own life?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by GeneralElectric, Mar 17, 2008.

1. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    http://www.bad-news-day.com/chantal-sebires-euthanasia-plea-rejected/

Reading this article has got me thinking, at what point does one have a right to end their own life? When someone gets to a point of enough suffering, isn't it more humane to let them die peacefully?

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Any time you want.

3. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    Thats what Hunter S. Thompson said. If he couldn't leave life at anytime he'd feel trapped.

4. RedCoatMonster

RedCoatMonster

Aug 14, 2007
    Thomas, OK
    Its YOUR life, no one elses. But people have to remember that the taking of their own lives have effects on families and friends, very deep ones. In this womans case, it is unthinkable that she wasnt granted the mercy she deserves.

5. do any animals besides humans have the ability to end their own life, willingly?

6. TrooperFarva

TrooperFarva

Nov 25, 2004
    New City, NY
    Lemmings?

7. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    Penguins

8. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    You think you're free to do what you want? Think again:

You should be allowed to die if you want. Why not?

If I end up trying to kill myself illegally, I hope I don't have to pay for a ticket from the grave.

9. I would like to think that humans' lives are more complicated than the average animal's.

I believe once your life has become detrimental to yourself and others, and once you have gained approval from everyone who it could possibly hurt, then I would have little quarrels with one ending their own life.

I still dont like the idea of someone ending their life, unless to help another, but I strongly believe in freewill.

10. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    I don't personally believe in ending my own life, but I think people should still have the option to.

11. Freewill is freewill. Ultimately it is up to only you whether you have to answer to anyone before doing so...

Personally I find it a tragic and ultimately selfish act to come to conclusion to, but again, your call.

12. Valerus

Valerus

Aug 4, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    My God! Let that lady go! That looks so horrific and painful.

13. That poor poor woman. I would not want her to suffer if she didn't want to. I apologise for having not read the article beforehand, but my thoughts remain.

14. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    This is why we should read the OP:)

I respect your viewpoint though and I can see where you're coming from. I think though that when a person is suffering so much, and there is little chance of recovery, they can opt out of life when there is a strong possibility that their suffering is going to get worse.

15. TrooperFarva

TrooperFarva

Nov 25, 2004
    New City, NY
    The future can't get here fast enough

[​IMG]

16. Right, I meant the article in regards to the pictures...I had read what you quoted, I just had no idea until someone commented about the pics.

And I am in agreement with what you are saying...my latter comments came in regards to the loved ones involved...but in this case, like with many a terminal illness, yes, as long as said person has made peace with the ones they love, they should be able to pull the plug...definitely. The State should not be able to intervene, it's a form of cruel punishment.

17. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY

My mistake.:atoz:

18. No worries bro...trivial compared to what this woman has to endure. :(

19. ryco

ryco

Apr 24, 2005
    In the state of Oregon the voters have won the "Right to Die" assisted suicide law two times.
    The feds have overturned this vote each time threatening prison for the Drs prescribing drugs or assisting in the process.

Like the woman in the article says, she can get these drugs by other means.
    My heart goes out to her

20. i'd give her the gun to do it

obviously she's in pain(humane is humane)