At what point did you become good?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Mikey96, Aug 31, 2001.

1. Just wondering, at what point you guys became comfortable with your own ability to hold down your end of the bargain, when you truly knew that you could play with a band and not be embarrased no matter the situation.

Me personally I have been playing for 13 months, and I am seeing large improvements (I really started progressing faster after I started lessons in May), and I think in about decemeber (if I keep practicing everyday for at least and hour and a half like I have been) I will have that major breakthrough and be comfortable, and no longer say I "suck".
  2. well.. once you decide to play bass.. you're good. :)

no just kidding.. you cannot judge about your own playing.. other people have to judge for you. :)
  3. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    No actually, I'm a self decreed bass god at this point.

j/k, AllodoX is right, you'll get feedback eventually.
  4. pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    I know from the responses from the people I play with that I am an accomplished bassist... however, half the fun of it for me is to continue to pursue that style, that playing that I hear in my head and that I know that one day I will be able to do.... since I am not there yet, I continue to believe that I am not that good yet...

5. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Hmmm... I don't think I would ever be that overconfident! I've played in bands for over 20 years, but I still feel the ever-present potential bananaskins, every time you get up to play.

As an example, that it never gets that easy: I saw a very experienced Jazz Quartet playing mostly standards, recently and the band was really playing well and seemed very confident. The band leader was a very well-respected tenor player who is one of the biggest names around.

So about half way through the set, he went to his bag and pulled out two worn sheets of music and stuck them in front of the pianist and bass player. Before they had even had the chance to glance at these, the tenor player had started playing the melody to a very complex original ballad, leaving the rhythm section to hang on for grim death! At the end of the "head", the tenor player walked off stage and left the rest of the band to solo over the complex chord structure.

Throughout I had been watching the bass player who looked first shocked, then his face got redder and redder and by the time it came to his solo, he was sweating profusely and looking distinctly uncomfortable - whereas before this song, he had looked relaxed and "ready for anything".

I asked another Jazz pro who was also in the audience about this and he laughed and said it was "an old pro's trick" - he added that the manuscript probably had coffee stains at the crucial points of the chord sequence as well, making it more difficult to read! ;)
  6. until i hear someone say "he's a good bass player" instead of "your doing good" i'll think i suck.
  7. I think the first time someone tells you "Good Job", you will start to think higher of you abilities. Your confidence will get better also. I consider myself competent. I do my job, and I'm not out to impress people. I just want to do what it takes to entertain a crowd and keep their attention. Plus I want to cause spontanious bowel movements in the audience. And one day I shall accomplish this.

I was lucky though, I had a guitarist to play alongside since day one. And he was/is a great guitarist. So I always had some new goal to strive for. Don't feel like you can't keep up when it comes to playing with others. You'll get better much much faster.

Good luck.
  8. TonyS

Dec 13, 1999
    All depends on your goals as a bass player.

If your idea of good is playing along with the "RAMONES" (I know it's dated but you get the idea) you may be good enough right now. A lot of experienced players know that you never stop learning, so it's hard to get complacent when your sights are on pushing it to the next level. YMMV
  9. Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    Just think of yourself as a crappy bassist, and then you will want to improve on that. I don't care what other people say, i just think of myself as crap.
  10. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Interesting question...I remember at 3 years that I was the best bass player in the world (behind John Entwistle and Geddy Lee, of course). Now that I've been playing 5 times longer than that, I can honestly say that I know how to play the "A" major scale in two octaves. In other words, the more I learn, the less I know.

At this rate, I'll be a beginner again in about 2 months;)
  11. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Even though I've gotten compliments from people like Bill Dickens, Mike Chapman (Garth Brooks' bassist, he called me a monster!), and T. M. Stevens, I know that there's a lot that I don't know. In my own opinion, I'm not as good as I'd like to be, but then again, who is? :) I don't think that I ever will be. I just take the compliments, and tell people that they're being too kind. BTW, I started getting compliments about 6 months after I'd started playing.
  12. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Wednesday, March 28, 2001 - 3:04pm, PST.
  13. ahpook

Jul 13, 2001
    11.58 restate assumtions

1. i quite like what i play, it takes time, but the right line comes.

2. i know what i like

3. i've had compliments...occasionally.

4. i like what i play (eventually - see 1 above) and i've finally got a sound i like.

ok - yoou decide.

14. I don't think I'm that good yet. But it's way more fun to play the "modest shy guy". So when someone asks about your playing you say something like "Oh. Well I'm ok. I know a few songs." Then you pull out your axe and lay down some serious grooves and blow everyone away.:cool: When I can do that, then I'll be a good bass player.
  15. i would have to say the point where i got really comfortable with my abilities was while i was playing a maple series II four string alembic and Mika Wickersham said that i was good
  16. Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2001
    I was comfortable playing bass for various bands and different situations early on (about 2 years after I started learning). However, your question "At what point did you become good?" is a different issue. Just because I am comfortable playing bass does not make me "good". "Good" is a bit subjective. What is "good" for one band, may be mediocre for another. For myself, I would say that I am a "reasonable" bass player, and can hold my own.
  17. Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    What does that mark? One month and 4.5 hours after The NW Earthquake?
  18. How do you define 'good'?

I've been playing for about 2 years, I can read music reasonably well, and I can play better then a couple of bass players I know who have been playing around the same time as me, but does that make me a good player?

No, I don't think so.

Geddy Lee could be described as 'good'.

A guy who's been playing for a week could be described as 'good'.

So instead of worrying whether or not I'm 'good', I'll worry about being the 'bass player'.

Besides, I'm my own worse critic. Colin Greenwood could tell me I'm the best bassist he's ever seen (yeah right) and I'd call him a liar. ;)
  19. I'm still working on it.
  20. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Well...I'm still working on it. I've only been playing 2 or 3 years (it's all a blur, I can't rememner!)