1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

At what point does one intervene in a neighbor's screaming match?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Unrepresented, Jan 2, 2012.

1. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive

Jul 1, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    Curious. Upstairs neighbors are screaming at each other and slamming doors. At what point do you call the cops?

2. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Now! I wouldn't put up with it. If they know the cops are going to show up when they start that crap, maybe they will stop.

3. If it sounds like there might be some violence, and it goes on for more than a couple of minutes. Better safe than sorry.

4. Screaming matches are often a pre-cursor to violent behavior.

The problem is, in some jurisdictions, a domestic call means someone will go to jail, even if there is no violence, just as a precaution.

Know the laws in your area, know what might happen if you call the cops. If you don't want someone going to jail, maybe your property manager should call or visit them to see what's up and give fair warning.

5. warwick.hoy

warwick.hoy

Aug 20, 2006
    Spokane, WA.
    Beta Tester: Source Audio.
    Notify the landlord/management. Let them know that next time you are calling the cops.

6. Unrepresented

Jul 1, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    Good point. I don't want to ruin lives with police records, but I do want to prevent escalation into something serious. And get them to shut up.

7. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    How did it go?

8. Unrepresented

Jul 1, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    They stopped making noise. I figure it's 50/50 on whether one of them is dead or they reconciled.

They were very, very unhappy for a very brief period.

9. Demon_Hunter

Demon_Hunter

Jun 8, 2008
    Are you sure they were fighting and not...well....you know ;)

10. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    If there are kids getting verbally abused or obvious sounds of physical violence, call the cops.

If it's just people being annoying and obnoxious and you rent in the same building, call your landlord.

11. pedroims

pedroims

Dec 19, 2007
    Michigan
    My wife and I was yelling each other one night, somebody call the cops, they showed , did not find anything, just told us to calm down, four years and two kids later I found that was a warrant on me for domestic violence, went to court, paid $1000 fine, 12 months probation.

12. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Banned

Aug 15, 2010
    Happened last year where we used to live. A couple in their 20's. I thought it was a movie cranked loud, but it was nonstop and lasted way too long. Putting my ear to the ground, I could hear something about the girl being too nice to a guy friend or something and the girl denying that he's anything more than a friend.

It was past 11pm at this point and I was concerned for the girl and also wanted to sleep... so I called the cops.

They show up and break it off. They talked to the couple for about 20 min behind closed doors and then the girl comes out with a suitcase and leaves. She never came back so I guess she realized how much of a douche this guy was.

I didn't intervene personally because there was next to zero chance that it would've resulted in anything than getting yelled at for not minding my own business and getting the door slammed in my face.

13. On occasion my neighbors have a pissing match, and at times it can get pretty loud. I try to mind my own business when it happens, I really don't want to get involved in another couple's problems. I have enough of my own to worry about.

14. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN"

Oct 11, 2009
    MEXICANADAMERICA
    anytime someone starts yelling at me i leave the premises. i do not want the cops deciding my fate while i'm under durress. especially if it's a woman. the next day your neighbors are laughing because "i suck in bed", "i don't make enough money", etc. talk about humiliation on top of a possible arrest! :(

15. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    Long Island, NY.
    That, or she went to the other guy's house :p

16. I wish someone would have called the cops when my ex wife would scream at me for hours in the middle of the night :/ would have shut her ass up.

17. I thought that's what you guys had tazers for?

18. MJ5150

MJ5150 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    I'd go to the house/apartment and find out what the problem is. They can yell at me, I don't care so long as they don't yell at each other.

-Mike

19. Happened to me. Upstairs folks were having a real row, screaming, yelling, and what sounded like either furniture or people were being thrown around the room. I listened for a few minutes, wondering as you did,what I should do, when I heard one of them, after a particularly loud crash, yelling, "Oh my God!!! Somebody call the Cops!!" So I did. I didn't want anyone to end up like Kitty Genovese.
    My suggestion: ALWAYS call the cops, as someone else said, better safe than sorry.

20. Worst thing you can do. Do NOT get directly involved, ever. Call the Cops, period.