Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

ATA Case for Bass in Gig bag

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by thewanderer24, Aug 28, 2005.

1. thewanderer24

thewanderer24

Apr 29, 2002
    SJ, CA
    OK, guys, I haven't seen a thread exactly like this.

I am about to order an ATA case, but really don't want to carry around the ATA case when I get where I am going.

Has anyone ever here ever seen or used an ATA case that was made to fit the bass in a gig bag??

I am talking about an Anvil style heavy duty case, NOT the SKB bass safe.

I have a Sadowsky that I'd like to make an ATA case for, but am thinking it would be better if I could get an Anvil case that would fit the Sadowsky in the Incase bag.

I'd greatly appreciate any thoughts, comments, experiences, etc.

2. strummer

strummer

Jul 27, 2005
    Sweden
    I have had the exact same thought, and actually takled to a guy about cutting the interior to fit my Undercover gig bag, and he saw no problems.
    A good thing is that I'd be able to carry any bass in the Anvil, as long as I could get it into the gig bag.

3. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    i have your answer- the SKB rw-44
    it is a molded case that you put your bass IN IT's GIG BAG in! awesome!
    i got mine about 2 months ago and have put about 8 plane trips on it and it is holding up like a dream! best thing is i paid $100 for it new ordered thru Guitar Center

here's a link to some info
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=home/search/detail/base_pid/544564/
    but the bad thing about ordering thru MF is that they wanted $70 for shipping! no way, i got it for $100 4 days after i ordered it from GC.
    so far I am thrilled since they were no longer allowing me to bring my bass onboard in it's gig bag. I JUST got back from Ohio with it an hour ago.. no worries. It has paid for itselfr three times over already- peace!- A

4. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    opps- i re read that you already knew about this, sorry.. still works great!

5. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Consider checking Ebay for an ATA keyboard case, with dimensions slightly bigger than your bass inside its gig bag. So long as the dimensions aren't too big for you, it should do the trick.

6. George Furlanetto used to offer a flight case that took two F Bass gig bags and some spare t shirts, you might email him and get some more info. It had the rollers on the bottom to make it a little easier.
    www.fbass.com

7. Bass Tranquil

Bass Tranquil

Nov 16, 2003
    I've found a few on Ebay from a company/ebay store called Island Cases. I'm searching to find some non-ebay feedback for them, or does anyone know of them? I took a few measurements and one of their cases would do the trick.

Should I be a guiney pig and buy one and then spread the word of yey or ney?

8. 5bassman

5bassman Supporting Member

May 4, 2005
    Kennesaw,GA
    I purchased this case back 4-5 months for a flight to take my Roscoe along. Worked great! Got scuffed a bit but protected the bass perfectly. Then when you land you just roll it behind you. I used a well padded gigbag(Warwick Rockbag) and put a few extra clothes in the flight case with the bass to fill the voids. These cases are great. I probably ought to sell mine because I probably won't ever use it again but you never know.

9. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    so far so good with mine- best purchase i have made in a while- my F bass and gig bag fit night and snug- i actullay have to take out the cable because it is a snug fit- get to the hotel room, pull out the bass and go in a gig bag- it rolls effortlessly in the airport. I LOVE IT!

10. I HIGHLY recommend Jan-Al cases!! Jan will make you any kind of case you want to your spec with a pretty quick turn around....the BEST cases made in my opinion....this is the case to the stars as it were as they are the defacto standard in the touring business....check it out here and give Jan a call to discuss your needs.....

www.cases.tv

Good luck!!

Peace,

T

PS - I currently own over a dozen of his cases and have been on tour with acts using hundreds of others so I am a heavy user and have NEVER had or seen a failure of ANY kind on his cases!!

11. thewanderer24

thewanderer24

Apr 29, 2002
    SJ, CA
    I almost forgot I posted this question here!! Doh!

Thanks for the answers, everyone. I am going to make some phonecalls at lunchtime today. I need to order something in the next few days.

12. thewanderer24

thewanderer24

Apr 29, 2002
    SJ, CA
    Well, after making some calls, and doing some thinking, I am going with Jan Al. I have my Sadowsky Incase bag on the way there via UPS right now. I figured the best way to be sure of a good fit was to just give them the thing and have em ship it back to me with the case.

The nice thing about doing it this way, is now I will have a case that will work for almost any bass.

13. bassjam

bassjam

Aug 2, 2004
    dfw
    Lakland Basses,Genz Benz

hey adrian-

im with you on this one.these almost seemed too good to be true and i was afraid to try one.i bought one and after a dozen or so flights,not a single nick or scratch on my bass.it replaced my anvil style heavy duty flight case-only ALOT lighter and easied to lug around.

14. Good call....Jan is a really great guy and he won't be happy until you are....Count on a lifetime of use and awesome customer service after the sale...

Peace,

T

15. wyliee

wyliee

Jul 6, 2003
    South Hill, WA
    I know this is probably a little late, but I use an SKB Staff Golf Club case. A double gig bag fits inside with plenty of room to spare. Add a bunch of additional foam to hold everything secure. You can make little pockets for parts. I think I paid around $117+tax for mine at a local golf pro shop.

The airlines don't look twice at it.

[​IMG]

16. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004

i have one

pm me, i'll try and get you a pic of it

i had F BASS ( once, the guitar clinic) to make one for me when i got my first F bass, i have a reunion blues gig bag that holds 2 basses. and i can fit it right in there no problem

it has recessed handles, roller wheels and its literally bomb proof. i love it. especially when its protection my valuables.

i recently picked up a 8 space shock mount road case off e bay for my rack gear aswell. i'm going to have to make a wheeled platform for her though. ts gonna be heavy

17. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
    Corrupticut
    Calzone Case is another company that will make an ATA case to your specs. I've seen a few of their recent custom jobs and they are excellent. The only downside could be the size. Once you add up the size of the gigbag, the padding, and the shell/trim you have a very large package. You might not be interested in the SKB Bass Safe but I just used one to take my Read Model J to Germany for 10 days and not only was it protective (my bass came out of the gigbag in tune after flying NYC to Berlin and taking a 3 hour car trip) but it fit sideways in the trunk of a Ford Mondeo (midisze euro model). I play with a guitar player who had an ATA made for his National resonator guitar and the case is huge. The bass model would be even larger.

I'm sure that you will be able to get what you are looking for, but keep an eye on the overall dimensions of the case.

18. That is a very, very cool solution... thanks for the idea!