Atelier and Elrick basses others

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Larry Kaye, Sep 25, 2002.

1. Larry Kaye

Larry Kaye Retailer: Schroeder Cabinets

Mar 23, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    As some of you talkbassers know, I'm not totally enamored with my Sadowsky Modern 5. Looks super, plays super, easy on the back and finger, definitely easy on the eyes!!, built super, neck work unbelievable. Tone good, not exceptional. compared to my F bass. Remember it's fingers, my ears, my cabinets, and head, not Rader's or Nino's.

That being irrationally said, I'm thinking about trading for either an Elrick Jazz Standard 5, there's a new one and possibly a used one out there, an Atelier 5 string jazz bass clone from Jimmy in New York, or maybe a Benavente. As far as I'm concerned as long as a trade isn't going to cost me another $500 in addition to the Sadowsky, I'd be open to any suggestions.

I'd probably prefer a new bass where the dealer would let me try out the bass for a couple of days minimum before I'd agree to the deal....I'd pay for it first with a credit card, and then I'd send the Sadowsky to him/her and they'd credit the account for whatever price we'd agree to.

Jimmy C's got his "New York" model of an Elrick that's really cool looking with the buckeye burled top but I kinda got "burned" a little on the Sadowsky falling in love with the looks without having the backup position of a seven day trial like Roger offers on his new basses. If I had had the trial, I likely would have sent it back and tried the Sadowsky with single coils on it and less frets!!

Anybody play, own, love, hate ... any of the above 3 brands of bass or other bass that runs $2500 or less that you'd suggest would make a good compliment to the current arsenal of an F Bass BN5, Lakland 5594, and a Modulus Q5.

Again all advise taken seriously. By the way to the Sadowsky fans..I'm going to try a very simple amp tweak to see if it will do what I need to possibly keep the Red Baron as I call it. My sunn head has a mid cut button that I'm going to try turning off. Hopefully it won't make the sound too "harsh" or honky. If so, I'd like to still get anyone's take on the above or other brands in this pricerange that you'd recommend as a good addition to the above group.

2. I've tried the very bass(the NY boutique model Elrick) you are speaking of. The look is phenominal, however, the sound wasn't there for me. It might have been the strings(they were pretty old), but I thought it was a little "Blah~" no magic. :rolleyes:

Also, the neck was very close to a warwick, yes, a warwick, a little clubby. you may like it, I didn't.

Having said that...
    if I had the $ :(
    I would take that Red beauty off of your hands in a heart beat!!
  3. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    you rang? :p

i'm not too familiar with your other basses, but they all seem like bolt ons. why not an Elrick Neckthru?

i've been a dyed in the wool Elrick guy, the first time i picked up my Elrick at G Guitars in CT last March. great fingerstyle tones. it just seems to sing and have a sustain, that i dont really hear in other basses. some might not appreciate neck thru's for slap, including Jimmy C, but i still think its a killer sound, even for slap. low B kicks out pretty fat, and the 35" gives it definition. i couldnt be happier. Rob usually has the 3 way mid toggle on all his active Bart basses, and its more than enough versatile for me.

i actually really like Roger's work, but more his pickups. many people know they're modded Dimarzio Ultra Jazz, but he brews them a special way that i really dig. tho the tone is very similar to my parts bass' Dimarzio Ultra Jazz' low end kick, i always wished my Ultra Jazzes had more mid presence and punch. the sadowsky's have that with an added top end presence that sounds sooo nice with his pre. then again, its more the slap sound that really gets me, but that's all it takes. :p for me, it'd be a toss up between the Sadowsky humcancelling singles or Aero's humcancelling singles. but that's a whole other thread. ;)

btw, speaking of Jimmy, he can be a little annoying to me. i dont like how he has alot of builders, namely George at F bass, and Rob at Elrick, build him so called "NYC" versions, built to his specs. why doesnt he just respect the builders and their original design, or build his own damn basses? you dont see BNW, BC, BW, or (RIP) LABX do that... :rolleyes:

i've played his so called NYC bass, and the action did make it play really nice, but the strings were incredibly old and dirty, and the worst feeling steels i've felt. the B was a little floppy too. mine was leaps and bounds above it.

btw, why not take a short drive or hop on the Metro North up to New Haven, and visit G Guitars? that's where i got my Elrick, and i know Chris has a El Jazz there, too. i've tried it, and it was a toss up between my Neckthru and that the Jazz, but we know who won. his price is pretty ridiculous, but there are plenty of other Elrick dealers who offer much lower prices. at least there you can play it, not to mention a few other choice instruments and rigs.
  4. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I talked to GGuitars last week about the NJS 5... the price was very reasonable after we got away from the retail price. I also talked to Electric City Music. PM me for more info. I like the 24 fret NJS 5.

A fellow TBer had an Atelier Z 5 string and I had a chance to spend some quality time with it. Very nice build quality, I understand they make their own hardware and electronics. Nice playability and sounded pretty good. I compared it to my FMT V and for me it wasn't even close. The FMT had a bigger, livelier sound. Funny how some things sound great until you compare them to something else.

I've been talking to a guy about a Benavente and I'm still apprehensive... I have no exposure to these basses and I've heard both glowing and lukewarm appraisals which basically negate each other for the most part. Anyway, the only person who really knows what I like is me.

I'd definitely turn off anything that's cutting mids on your amp. Run it completely flat and see how the Sadowsky sounds. If it's still not right, then tweak. The F Bass does have a big sound that IMO is hard to equal.

My own situation is that I'm trying to clear some gear out and trading isn't exactly accomplishing that. What fun.
  5. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I've played a few Ateleir Z 4 & 5 strings @ Jimmy's shop & the basses were built very NICE, sounded & played great. But like Brad said, "Funny how some things sound great until you compare them to something else." I plugged in my Sadowsky 24 fret 5 & it was night & day.

Larry, I don't know if you want to put any more money into the Sadowsky but Personally, I'd try to change the pickups before I try to sell it. It seems you love everything but the sound & it would be a shame to get rid of it for that. I know that EMG & Bartolini make single coil pickups that are in the soapbar casing. The EMG is the 40J & I don't know what the Bartolini is called. If you opt for the EMG's I'd try to get them through Roger because the one he puts in the neck position is custom made for him from EMG. The magnet is placed in a different location in the casing allowing the actual "pickup" (magnet) to be closer to the neck giving more low end.

A friend of mine put the Bartolini passive J soapbars in a Dean Edge 6 with an Aguilar preamp & the bass SMOKED!!!!!!!!

Just my .02
  6. rickreyn

rickreyn Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    Compared to the Sadowsky, the Elrick NJS is hand-made from the ground up. The one I had was rich sounding and wonderfully made. It is now owned by a touring/studio player. A trial period might be nice because every custom bass will sound different IMO. I had the 21-fret model.
  7. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Ok.. I haven't played an Elrick Jazz bass. but have played and do own an Elrick gold-std. I love this bass. Its the most comfortable bass I've played.. and best sounding.. I do believe I'll be an Elrick owner for life...
  8. RS

Aug 27, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    I had an Elrick for awhile. The construction was amazing and the playability is sweet. It was not aggressive sounding at all though. Very smooth but detailed and responsive.
    Some jazz guy could kill with this thing but I couldn't say I loved the tone 100%, esp for my #1 bass, so I traded it in for a Sadowsky. No regrets.

How much do you want for the Sadowsky? I'm local and would be interested if you'd decide to sell.
  9. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer, Builder
    Well of course I'm going to have to say the Benavente Vortex.
    I've taken 3 sadowsky 5's in trade for Benavente's in the past 2 + months and two of the 3 guys turned around and ordered there second Benavente. So I have to say they were happy!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    But then agian I've taken 5 fodera's in and two of them turned around and ordered there seconds as well, and the sadowsky and fodera both appeal to to totally different plays. Answer.... not sure, But Fodera's and sadowsky's are both very nice instruments as well!
  10. Larry Kaye

Larry Kaye Retailer: Schroeder Cabinets

Mar 23, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    BUT, I'm going to try to see if I can tweak the tone, per my original post, by turning off the midcut button on my head. In the past that has made literally every bass I've owned honk enough to attract every Canadian goose in heat for miles including the F bass, my Lakland, and my Q5. However the right amount of midrange (I run my 31 band graphic pretty flat) added on these basses, we're just fine. BUT, none of them as polite sounding as the Sadowsky. By the way, the Sadowsky sounds the absolute best of all my basses in my practice rig which is an 80 watt, 1 15 cab with no tweeter. If I was playing strictly small club jazz gigs, it would be my bass of choice with that combo.

If someone offers me what or close to what I'm asking and the midcut doens't happen for me, I will go through and sell it. Local is better as we can meet so you can see and hear the bass yourself.

11. Sufenta

Sufenta Trudging The Happy Road of Destiny

Mar 14, 2002
    The Signpost Up Ahead.
    Just another Elrick owner here with nothing but the highest praise for Rob's work.
  12. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    Hard to beat the F bass sound- I am becoming more and more of a fan everyday- sold the natural ash
    (offer i couldn't refuse) and took in this baby- again, amazing sound-
    but you already have one of these, so you know!!
  13. Sammy

Aug 31, 2000

Please excuss me if I am stating the obvious, but what strings are you using on the Sadowsky? You may want to try a couple more types of strings before dropping or modifying the bass.