SOLD Atelier Baby Z-4J

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by west*coast*bass, May 26, 2021.

1. west*coast*bass

west*coast*bass Supporting Member

Dec 6, 2003
    Agoura Hills, CA
    Price:
    Strings:
    United States
    Selling my recently acquired Atelier Z Baby Z-4J.

This is a limited production instrument which is made in Japan. This is a beast!! This bass has full attention to detail, and the tone it produces is surprising at a 30" scale length. Put simply, this is amazing. I have 5 basses currently and 2 on the way, so last one in is the first one out.

It features a 3 piece ash body, maple neck with KTS titanium support rods, bone nut, white block inlay, and 19 frets. Tuning machines are Gotoh's GB-1 and the bridge is a Hipshot B-style with a custom 16.5mm string spacing and string through body design. Tone is sculpted by an Atelier Z EQ-J which features volume knobs for front and rear (push/pull passive/active switch) pickups and a stacked bass/treble knob. Atelier Z Baby J pickups complete the package and provide articulate and punchy tones without breaking a sweat.

I gigged this bass last weekend and it held it's own in a loud 5 piece classic rock band.

This bass weighs in at 8.4 pounds. It's a pleasure to play. An Atelier Z gig bag is included.

I'm looking for $1100 $900 + 75% of actual shipping costs.

Atelier1.jpg Atelier3.jpg Atelier2.jpg Atelier4.jpg Atelier5.jpg Atelier6.jpg

Last edited: Jun 1, 2021
  2. west*coast*bass

Dec 6, 2003
    Agoura Hills, CA
    Bump with a lower price!

3. Green Knight

Green Knight Supporting Member

Oct 18, 2016
    Best price ever for a truly excellent short scale.

4. west*coast*bass

Dec 6, 2003
    Agoura Hills, CA
    As you can see, I'm motivated to sell...

5. JTE70

JTE70 Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2019
    Florida
    Gorgeous

6. Green Knight

Green Knight Supporting Member

Oct 18, 2016
    How is this still here? It's an active, beautifully made short scale for a little over half what it would cost new, and you don't have to import it from Japan. I had a ZP05--the 5-string version--and it's the bass I most regret selling. None of the tubbiness people associate with short scale tones.

lesclaypoolsob likes this.
  7. west*coast*bass

Dec 6, 2003
    Agoura Hills, CA
    Who knows! This is the best deal on TB at the moment...

8. LennyJ

LennyJ Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2001
    Acworth, Georgia
    great pics, is it gloss or matte finish - but cant tell. tks

9. west*coast*bass

Dec 6, 2003
    Agoura Hills, CA
    Gloss.

LennyJ likes this.
  10. Dee-man

Dee-man Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2004
    SF Bay Area
    Sweet bass. I shouldn't have looked. Haha.
    What's the nut width?
    Do you find the string spacing to be too narrow for finger style?
    Does the tone control work in passive mode?
    Does it balance nicely on a strap?
    Is it limited to sounding "modern" and slap-happy or tap-happy or chord happy, or can it also do the roots rock, bluegrass, jamband side of the tonal street?
    How would you describe the shape of the neck in your hand (or what would you compare it too (I've tried a lot of shorties out there)?
    Interested in any full or partial trades?
    Thanks! DM

11. west*coast*bass

Dec 6, 2003
    Agoura Hills, CA
    Nut width is 1.5”. String spacing is no problem for finger or slap. I play in a classic rock band and it holds down the classic thump easily as well as being able to get a more modern sound. Balance is perfect, no worries there. I’m not sure about the passive tone - I’m currently away from home and can’t check, but I’d imagine that is an easy question to get answered with a quick internet search.

I’m looking to sell outright…I have 2 customs on order and already have 4 other basses.

12. Dee-man

Dee-man Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2004
    SF Bay Area
    Thanks for all the info. I'll circle back via pm if further interested. GLWTS, DM

13. west*coast*bass

Dec 6, 2003
    Agoura Hills, CA
    The bass is relocating to Ohio!

Green Knight likes this.
  14. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 23, 2021