Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Atelier Z 6 string yumm

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DarkMazda, Jan 17, 2003.

1. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    too bad i wouldn't be able to play it... 19mm at the bridge! :eek: but suuure looks yummy
    [​IMG]

2. hujo

hujo

Apr 18, 2001
    Stockholm, Sweden
    That is really my dream bass. Too bad it would cost me an arm and tear off the other arm with it's monstrous weight.. That thing has to be heavy.

3. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    looks soo huge though.. a 6 string Jazz Bass with 19mm string spacing.. I wouldn't have expected that from a 'Jazz Bass'.. I wonder what the string spacing at the nut would be (or the nut size).

Also, that bass would be H E A V Y. Ash for ya

Dm

4. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Hey hey, it's the first Jazz Bass I think I'd like to own.

5. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    I knew you were going to come in sometime in this thread.. ;)

DM

6. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Why did you have to go and do that, Jason?!?!?!?:mad:

I had almost forgotten that those things existed, now I have a whole new case of GAS for one!!!:D

FWIW, a Fender Jazz 4 has 19mm bridge spacing, so it is only natural that a 6 true to the Jazz design would as well.

7. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    A couple years ago I was at the NY bass and Gtr Booty-Q, and Jimmy had an Atelier Z 6 string (vintage burst) for around $2100... they must be close to that now... right?

I thin it is a killer looking bass and the idea of a good 6 string jazz is great, but how about the playability and having to gig with it for a 5 hour gig? Might give my back some issues.

8. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Not bad (I really don't like the clear pickguard with the writing on it), but if I'm going to pick up a six string Jazz, it'll be one of these Curbows:

[​IMG]

Light as a feather, and as easy to play as a 4 string Jazz.

9. Johnalex

Johnalex

Jul 20, 2001
    South Carolina
    Gosh! These six string Jazzs looks awesome. I would love that Z.

10. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    The Atelier Z is awesome, but I've played that Curbow, and it's in another class! That thing smoked!

11. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Are these on the market now? What is the price range?

12. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    I dig that Atelier, but 19mm on a six is HUGE! I can deal with it on a five pretty well, but crap! That thing is massive! If it weren't for that pickguard, though, that would be one sweet looking bass!

13. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Honestly, I'm not sure. I know he was going to CNC the body to make it more affordable than the hand carved bodies he does. If you shoot him an email, I'm sure he could tell you more about it. I'll ask the next time I talk to him to find out more.

I'd love to get one, but my next Curbow 6 will be my last Curbow 6, and that's going to be a singlecut Lightwave. If the price is right, though....

They are amazing instruments. A local player has the two handmade prototypes (he had the original idea, and gave input to Greg on the design), one active and one passive, and they are absolutely stunning. The Birdseye on the neck is the most ridiculous figure I've ever seen on a neck. Almost looks fake it's so crazy.

Here's the passive one.

[​IMG]

:eek:

14. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA

Whew, that is the first natural finish i wanted to puke on. Just me? or is that wood tone FUGLY.

15. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    I think it is just you, because that wood looks beautiful to me. I think the wood looks cool, but wierd in a way. Very different than most others I've seen. I think I am too used to seeing bookmatches with the grain facing inwards, not running parallel to the bass.

16. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Pretty sure it's just you. Bookmatched Swamp Ash ugly? But, hey, to each his own....

I personally think this is ugly.
    [​IMG]

:D

17. BassFelt

BassFelt

Mar 26, 2002
    I've never seen those curbows. My bass under construction is going to something like that. I can't wait..

18. hujo

hujo

Apr 18, 2001
    Stockholm, Sweden
    The Curbows are VERY nice, but the neck pickup isn't really in the standard place. I understand this probably is because of the 24-fret board, but if I were to buy one, i hope one could customize a bit?

19. hujo

hujo

Apr 18, 2001
    Stockholm, Sweden
    BTW, what kind of pickups are those?

20. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Those are Bartolinis. And, as I am pretty sure they aren't being CNC'd as of yet, you can have any pickup option you want. You can email Greg at greg@curbow.com and I'm sure he'll be happy to tell you what the different options are. And, if I know Greg, the less normal the better! :D