Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Atelier Z basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by kazamamaster, Oct 5, 2005.

1. kazamamaster

kazamamaster

Sep 15, 2005
    Richmond, VA
    Anyone know anything about Atelier Z basses? Especially tonewise? I know they are some of the more beautiful jazz basses I have ever seen........

Attached Files:

2. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    They kick tale! A little heavy, but kickarse!

3. Rvl

Rvl

Dec 23, 2003
    Aomori Japan
    Mas Hino's a really nice guy
    He lived and worked in NY and speaks English , so phone him up and talk to him

4. I once tried one... it was a smoking blue(kinda sparkle if I remeber correctly) JazzBass.

The tone was like everybody wants his(her) bass to sound the same!
    The playability was awesome too. Great basses...

5. vision

vision It's all about the groove! Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2005
    Ann Arbor, MI
    they are GREAT basses...i did a 6 month gig in japan, and out band house was down the street from the atelier z workshop...i used to stop in all the time. they are really like 60's/70's jazz basses on steroids, alot like the sadowsky/marcus miller sound. actually the person who started atelier z is now the builder for the sadowsky metro line...

the build quality, fit, and finish were top notch on the atelier z's. they make their own pickups, electronics, and hardware, or you can choose other options. imho their own electronics sound the best!

the one bass he had in the shop that had a hold on me was the 6 string jazz...the string spacing on it was 19mm at the bridge, and it was the most comfortable 6 i've ever played. that neck was just perfect! i used it one night at the club...5 sets from 9 pm to 5am, and i had no problems at all with it even though i had never played a 6 on a gig at that time. all of the strings were very even sounding, and it was just natural to play it.

i still regret not leaving japan with one of those basses!

6. 6-3-2

6-3-2

Sep 20, 2003
    Always been interested in those Atelier Z basses. Has anyone played that new hollow body bass they've got? It looks fantastic.

7. Rvl

Rvl

Dec 23, 2003
    Aomori Japan
    I was just about to buy a hollowbody AtelierZ ATB1 and then I found it was made in Korea. I decided not to buy it , not because of quality or sound , just personal predjudice , I guess.

8. jb64

jb64

May 4, 2003
    Connecticut, USA!
    Endorsing Artist: Carvin Guitars, Bass Amps & Pro Audio
    I own two. A Custom 5 string and a 4 string. They are great basses and the builder Mas is a great guy. I couldn't be happier with mine.

9. kazamamaster

kazamamaster

Sep 15, 2005
    Richmond, VA
    You would'nt happen to have any sound samples do you?

10. jb64

jb64

May 4, 2003
    Connecticut, USA!
    Here's a quick sample of my Custom 5 string.

11. jb64

jb64

May 4, 2003
    Connecticut, USA!
  12. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Hey Carl, what are the spec's on your 5? What are the woods, pickups and the preamp on yours? Thanks man.

Folks, if anyone gets a chance to check out Carl Carter than DO IT! This guy's the real deal.

13. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Yup, that's a great example of the Atelier Z sound. I love those basses.

14. jb64

jb64

May 4, 2003
    Connecticut, USA!
    It's the M#265 model 5 string with a custom 35" scale neck. The finger board is maple with MOP blocks (70's vibe). 19mm spacing at the bridge, ash body and clear guard and control plate. The knobs are rear loaded and the preamp is a Aguilar OBP-3 with a passive tone control. The pickup's are Atelier Z Magnitude JBZ-5's. She weighs 11lbs! (OUCH)

Well, that's pretty much it.

All the best,

Carl

15. Man that sound is awesome!!! It looks like the bass has almost NO Processing!!! And still sound perfect. The sound man must have been happy on this tune...

These are great basses, I repeat myself but the playability is terrific.(remember "Back to the Future" when M.J.Fox said that the best stuff is made in Japan...:D ) JB lovers bass, for sure.

Did you play on the Marlon song or was that that just your(s)(or the same) bass???
    Anyway kudos...:cool:

16. jb64

jb64

May 4, 2003
    Connecticut, USA!
    Thanks for the kind words! To clearify, this is a song from a new CD entitled "A Groove So Deep: The Live Sessions" that I produced & cowrote with a great vocalist/writer by the name of Marlon Saunders. The CD is live except for the one song that I posted here earlier "Pay it to the People". The song was recorded at my studio and has no processing. I played the Atelier Z Custom 5 on the track.

All the best,

Carl

17. TimothyGroovy

TimothyGroovy Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 3, 2000
    Hong Kong
    Owner: Uni••Sound
    I feel good with Atelier Z basses, they are really good sounding bass! :D Just get one if you want it! Wou won't feel disappoint with it!

18. 6-3-2

6-3-2

Sep 20, 2003
    The bass sounds gorgeous in that first clip. Great playing too.

19. kazamamaster

kazamamaster

Sep 15, 2005
    Richmond, VA
    :eek:

That tone is just stupid.

20. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Atelier Z is becoming my favorite among the boutique J-basses. I think they are fairly cheap too. I know I have been lusting after that Atelier Z 5 on the Groove Shoppe's website for a month or so. I think I could be cool with the weight because my main bass is an SR5, which is no lightweight.

Carl Carter, you sound great! I hope that CD project is great success!