Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Atelier Z basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by godoze, Jan 14, 2003.

1. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    These things look really nice. Do any of you have any experience with them ?

I am really impressed with the look - the construction looks good.

Any info appreciated.

Thanks,
    Don:)

2. OnederTone

OnederTone Aguilar Everywhere Gold Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2002
    Thornton, CO
    the guy that started Atelier Z is now the guy that does the Sadowsky Tokyo.

I figured they were out of business.

3. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    i do not know but was just on their website..

4. OnederTone

OnederTone Aguilar Everywhere Gold Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2002
    Thornton, CO
    yeah... I just found it too. I'm not knocking them... in fact a true 6 string jazz looks like one mean machine...

and the *almost* single cut bass... that looks cool too.

The 5 string Jazz got great reviews from BP a couple of years ago...

the comment about the guy that started the company was just a bit of history. I just assumed they were no longer producing basses under the Atelier Z name... I was wrong.

ek

5. Larry Kaye

Larry Kaye Retailer: Schroeder Cabinets

Mar 23, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    NY Guitar and Bass Boutique sells 'em. They're still in production and selling to the public. As was said, the FORMER owner now works with Sadowsky.

LKaye

6. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    any rough ideas on the cost of one ?

7. hujo

hujo

Apr 18, 2001
    Stockholm, Sweden
    They do have prices on their website, I think. Just convert them from Yen to whatever you like.

8. Larry Kaye

Mar 23, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    I believe NY Bass Boutique which is not your cheapest date in town, but may be the only game available, was asking $2700 or so for the 5 and 2400 or more for the 4. It was definitely more than Sadowsky's Tokyo models.

L

9. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I have a 5 string & it's really nice. I'm in the process of trading it for a Modulus Quantum 5. The one I have is about 10 LBS & the ones I tried in NY Guitar and Bass Boutique a few weeks ago & they were between 13 & 15 LBS!!!! & Jimmy @ the shop said that's the average weight!!!!! Lemme tell you, they were MASSIVLY heavy!!!!!!

LAst I was in NY Guitar and Bass Boutique, the 5's were $2499 & the 4's were $2199. About the same price as a Sadowsky Tokyo.

10. Larry Kaye

Mar 23, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    Are the Sadowsky Tokyo lighter than the Ateliers? Also, would you explain to us how they differ as far as electronics/pup's/preamp or sound/other areas of significance?

If they're essentially priced equal, what makes the Sadowsky Tokyo a more (or less) desireable bass in your always straight forward manner? I know you work at Sadowsky (you still do don't you?) but can be trusted to honestly point out the "real" differences between the basses that Roger and company feel makes it a better value for the money.

I think that would be very valuable input for this particular thread, yes?

Larry Kaye

11. Nino Valenti

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC

12. Larry Kaye

Mar 23, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    Are we talkin' jazz, hyper jazz, poor man's jazz sound and feel wise? What about the B string?
    They sure look classy!!

Larry

13. eddiebo

eddiebo Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2002
    Montclair, NJ
  14. Nino Valenti

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    The AZ I have (& have deceided to keep for now) plays great. I haven't compared it to a Sadowsky Tokyo sound wise. The one I have is comperable in weight to the Tokyo's. The neck on my AZ is slightly narrower then my Sadowsky 24 fret 5 & the Tokyo line.Personally, I like the wider necks of the Sadowsky because I'm very used to my 24 fret 5. The B string sings on both are great (AZ & Tokyo). The major things I like about the Tokly are the lighter basses & Satin finish necks.

If I didn't get the Atelier Z on a trade with JSonnenblick (SP?) for my Blue Gecko, I wouldn't pay $2500 for it. ad resale value & far away customer service.

15. Starrchild

Starrchild

Nov 10, 2000
    The Bay.