Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Atelier Z Jazz Bass???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jokerjkny, Jan 31, 2002.

1. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    Hey all,

i recently played one and wanted to know what you guys think of these basses. i played a sweet hard ash/maple necked one with a shield like the one below and thought it sounded great, but i tried looking them up online, but didnt get too much on them. site seems to be only in japanese. anyone use one? what do you think?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
  3. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com
    Yea, New York Guitar and Bass Boutique are the only ones I know of selling them.

I've heard some really good things about them. One individual plays Pensa's and the Atelier and loved them equally. Which says alot to me becuase I think Pensa's are terrific Jazz basses!

4. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    well,

the pictures actually are off of bass boutique's site. i played a natural finished hard ash & maple board one there, and it was the fattest thing i've heard but kinda heavy too. but i just wanted to know if it wasnt a fluke.

5. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I've never played an Atelier, although based on comments from knowledgeable people on this board who have, I think that they would compare to any other high end Jazz. I drooled for months over the natural w/black pickguard 6 that the Boutique had for a while. Someday, maybe after the kids grow up and move away, and I am getting close to retirement, I will buy one of those for myself as a present for being a great guy.;)

This 5 looks pretty nice:
    [​IMG][​IMG]

6. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    thats a good looking bass, the neck looks pretty big, does it have a wider string spacing than normal? Also, what type of pickup's and electronics do they use?

7. SCT1422

SCT1422 Supporting Member

I've played 2 of them, both were natural w/maple boards.. They were both nice sounding and playing basses... They make they're own pickups, electronics and I believe hardware.. They're very heavy because they are using Ash, not the Swamp Ash alot of manufacturers use now.. (They would make excellent boat anchors.) String spacing comes in 2 sizes, 17mm or 19mm... They're very well built and capture that Jazz growl we all know and love... Steve....

8. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Marcus Miller is a minor deity in Japan, so Atelier's (and a lot of other companies') instruments go for the super-modded 70s jazz thing. Including the heavy ash.

9. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    And they do indeed nail that 70's Jazz bass vibe, even in their 5's and 6's. You just missed a sweet natural finish 5 by a couple of days.

10. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    I had the opportunity to listen to an AtelierZ jazz bass being A/B'd through an Eden Metro and an SWR Super RedHead. Man did it sound good. It definitely did the super modded jazz bass thing.

11. embellisher

And that's why I want one. I would love to have a 6 that nailed that tone.

12. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    is there a difference in this "other" ash???

13. embellisher

It is called northern ash, and it is significantly harder and heavier than swamp ash. It is also brighter and more scooped sounding than swamp ash or alder. Find a good 70's Jazz that weighs about 12-14 lbs and plug it in. You'll hear the difference.

14. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    i have to dissagree about northern ash being more scooped sounding than swamp ash. the biggest reason i dont like the slap sound of a swamp ash jazz is because it doesnt have the mid grunt that a norther ash jazz does. this comes from someone that owned a 78 jazz and a sadowsky 4 at the same time and ab'd them.

if atelier is using northern ash in their 5er's im going to have to check one out!