1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Atelier Z or Low End Jazz?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dwjazz54, Nov 28, 2006.

1. dwjazz54

dwjazz54

Jan 21, 2003
    Jersey City, NJ
    I know I want a six-string, and I know I love 70s Jazz basses when it comes to tone. Maybe I can kill two birds with one stone.
    I was wondering if anyone had any idea which company's bass has the more definitive 70s Jazz tone. I'm thinking Marcus Miller (and not *just* his slap tone; I totally dig his other, though rarely heard, sound!).
    Thanks!

2. Kephah

Kephah

Oct 1, 2006
    M-I-Z-Z-O-U !
    I'm gonna say LEJ since the AtelierZ is very heavy. The LEJ has proprietary electronics and so a wide range of sounds is quite feasible.

3. I have not played either of these, but there's a recent thread on Ateleir vs. Sadowsky UV70 that has some info you might find useful.

Also... as unfortunate as it might be, as I've posted a number of times before, you can get a great, aggressive J sound in a lightweight bass. However, to replicate that true Marcus type old school late 70's J bass on steroids thing, you really do need a somewhat dense, relatively heavy (10 to 11 pound) ash body IME... that's the price of admission IMO and IME.

4. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    agreed, my Benavente 5 string (same as LEJ spec wise but looks like a P not a J) with it's Suhr pre, DiMarzio Ultras (pre current Benavente/LEJ pickup and preamp selections) and heavy Ash body when strung with stainless rounds does an impressive MM type tone.... lacking the actual MM talent of course ;)

5. vision

vision It's all about the groove! Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2005
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Endorsing Artist: MTD Basses, La Bella Strings, and 64 Audio IEMs
    I haven't played the Low End Jazz basses, so I can't compare the two. I don't think they are made to specifically get the 70's sound, but I'm sure that options could be selected to get you there (single coils, 70's pickup placement, northern ash body, etc.)

The Atelier Z basses are pure Marcus tone. That was really the design goal...to make an authentic 70's jazz with modern electronics, just like Marcus's bass. That's the reason that Atelier Z's have the mixed knobs, just like Marcus's Fender. Also, the Beta 6 is great because it retains all of the tone and feel of a 70's jazz, just with 2 extra strings. The C string really fits in with the rest of the bass, it doesn't sound thin at all. The 19mm spacing keeps the same feel between strings as a 4 string bass.

They are definitely heavy basses, around 11 lbs for the six string, so it's something to keep in mind. But as Kjung said abouve, that weight is a big element of the 70's jazz "Marcus" tone.

lol! I'm beginning to sound like an Atelier Z street teamer on these threads, and I don't even have one...yet...:ninja:

6. Ed Goode

Ed Goode Jersey to Georgia Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    You've got some great taste in basses, that for sure :D

I haven't played an Atelier Z, but it's always been something I've wanted to try. I did play an LEJ for far too short a period of time and it was really nice.

I'd love to get a Low End 7, seriously considering that as my next big purchase ..... :cool:

7. dwjazz54

dwjazz54

Jan 21, 2003
    Jersey City, NJ
    Yeah, I always dug extended range and old-school; figured "why the hell not?".
    Heavy isn't really too much of an issue with me, so 11lbs is fine!

8. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

I played thre Altier Z 6 at bass player live and from what I could which was barely anything with all of the playing around me it was a nice bass. The Low End 6 is on my list to try.

9. west*coast*bass

west*coast*bass Supporting Member

Dec 6, 2003
    Agoura Hills, CA
    I have played both and prefer the LowEnd Jazz... The Atelier Jazz basses are heavy - great tone, but heavy. The weight on the LEJ's is much more manageable without losing the sought after thickness in tone.

Call Brian Barrett at The LowEnd, he'll walk you through the finer points of the LEJ's.

Good luck.

10. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    The New York Bass Works is also a nice jazz style 6 to consider.

I really like the Atelier Z but the weight is the only reason I don't have one (unless you want to sell one to me really cheap)

11. hands5

hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    none
    and there ya go

12. DBeasley

DBeasley

Aug 30, 2006
  13. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    I can't imagine a better bass for that late 70's J tone than an Atelier Z (or a Celinder....good luck getting one.).

The newer Atelier Z's are lighter than the older one's.

14. wujuu

wujuu

May 28, 2006
    UT
    bump for an interesting debate!

15. Steve Clark

Steve Clark

Jan 9, 2004
    London ON
    Can someone post that 24 fret Atelier 6 string that showed up a while back. :hyper:

EDIT answered my own question

[​IMG]

16. wujuu

wujuu

May 28, 2006
    UT
    ...beautiful

17. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    [​IMG]

18. That's one 6er I could own. Decent spacing!

19. Steve Clark

Steve Clark

Jan 9, 2004
    London ON