1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SOLD AtelierZ 5string in Gun Metal Green!!! $1600shipped+paypal!!!

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by ElMon, Oct 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ElMon

ElMon Supporting Member

May 30, 2004
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Got this bass only 2weeks ago from Mr. Barrett @ thelowend.net.
    Right off, THE ONLY reason I'm dumping this is that it is VERY heavy, and I mean 13lbs heavy. However, it sounds as heavy as it weighs.

Have you ever played a mint 70's fender jazz that weighed a ton but had more lowend than any other bass? This is that bass in a 5'er. I can nail the bass sounds from bands like Dazz or 70's Larry Graham. The tonal qualities of heavy northern ash is very powerful, and balanced throughout the spectrum, not scooped like swamp ash, and the pensa 2band preamp, coupled with a vol/vol setup rather than a blend knob provide much more versatility IMO than other 2band Jazz setups. I usually turn up both pickups on full, and then back off the neck pup a tad (like a real jazz bass), and then boost the low end knob a tad; result= ultra punchy bridge pickup jaco tone, but with much more lowend meat. Also of note, this bass has SINGLE COIL pups!!!! What a difference from the humbucking pups I've tried. With the combo of hot pickups and the BADASS V bridge (strung thru the body), this thing is a slap machine.

For a little history, the man heading Sadowsky's operation in Japan is-I was told at least-the former builder for Atelier Z, and to me, the bass feels almost identical to the UVRW5 Metro I owned, with the exception of the weight of course, and that the neck is a little flatter from front to back and IMO feels more stable.

$1600 Shipped and paypal fees comes with a protec gigbag.

th_Bridge.gif
    th_az52.gif
    th_az51.gif
    th_2470ddde4359.gif
    th_728de695187c.gif
    th_9d2df11ef289.gif

2. ElMon

ElMon Supporting Member

May 30, 2004
    Oklahoma City, OK
    bump?

3. nice looking bass, good luck

Bump for a great guy to deal with!!

4. EduardoK

EduardoK

Jun 28, 2004
    HI, WHAT IS THE STRING TO STRING SPACING AT THE BERIDGE AND AT THE NUT?

5. EduardoK

EduardoK

Jun 28, 2004
    .... and the scale length?

6. BassManPatsFan

BassManPatsFan Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2004
    San Francisco
    Free bump...

That headstock looks like the Sandberg 'stock. Pretty cool looking.
    -Alex

7. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    I believe these basses are 34" scale and 19mm spacing at the bridge. Amazing basses.

8. ElMon

ElMon Supporting Member

May 30, 2004
    Oklahoma City, OK
    I would say without any hesitation that, pound for pound, the AtelierZ basses are just as good as any Sadowsy I"VE had the pleasure of playing.

Powerfully thick sound in the mix that doesn't get lost, impeccable workmanship, old school vibe for days!!!

9. ElMon

ElMon Supporting Member

May 30, 2004
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Besides the Vol/Vol setup, which is IMO superior to the blend knob option, this bass has a few features that I couldn't seem to get in a Sadowsky, like single coil pups (didn't have to drop 200 into it) and thru body stringing, as well as a sepertate detachable battery compartment.

Basically, to my ears, if you want 60's jbass in a five, get a Sadowsky, but if you want a 70's J, buy mine.

10. i played that bass a few months ago... smokin bass, i wish i had the dough.

11. ElMon

ElMon Supporting Member

May 30, 2004
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Gracias!

12. ElMon

ElMon Supporting Member

May 30, 2004
    Oklahoma City, OK
    bump!!!!

13. Deep

Deep

May 8, 2002
    NY
    Nice bass! Is it my imagination, but in the close-up of the body doesn't the E and A string look closer than the others and the E,A and G strings over the neck p/up look off? But it's nice anyway!

14. ElMon

ElMon Supporting Member

May 30, 2004
    Oklahoma City, OK
    maybe cuz the strings were completely detuned and adhering to the magnet in the pups? First I noticed it. That or you had a few glasses of scotch B4 looking at it.

15. ElMon

ElMon Supporting Member

May 30, 2004
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Bumpage

16. cabcreaser

cabcreaser Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2005
    pm sent

17. ElMon

ElMon Supporting Member

May 30, 2004
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Sold to Mr. Jamerson (AKA cabcreaser) !!!!!!

Much thanks to all!!!!

18. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 19, 2021

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.