Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

ATELIERZ/GMT Jazz basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RealBK, May 25, 2002.

1. RealBK

RealBK

Feb 8, 2002
    Hi, There are quite a few high end Jazz bass makers out there at the moment.. Anyone heard of http://www.atelierz.co.jp? they look nice!!!
    Anyone played one? anyone form the U.K. got one?
    Price for a 4 stringer?

Anyone got any information on GMT jazz basses?
    (i think they had a graphite neck) other than that i don't know anything else about them?

I would like to get a high end Jazz bass for about £1300. Though about a Jazz Deluxe, but the really don't look worth the money. Sadowsky would be my first choice, but sadly they are way out my price range.

Bye Bye.

2. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I've played a few of the Atelier Z 4 strings @ NYC Bass Botique. They're very well made, sound really nice. They're selling for about $1500, which really isn't that cheap.

3. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    A friend and fellow TB'er has one for sale, a natural finish Ash, Maple 5. Nice bass.

4. BassFelt

BassFelt

Mar 26, 2002
    I was interested in Atelier Z because I was looking for a six string jazz bass. They got a pretty good review in Bassplayer. A luthier friend of mine wasn't too impressed though. They are not cheap and I'm inclined to think you'd better get a Fender. That said, I've never seen one myself. Btw my six string jazz bass in under construction at the luthier.

5. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    You won't find a 6 string Fender Jazz bass.

Atelier's 6 string Jazz is pretty cool, sounds like a 6 string Jazz, not a 5 string with a C tacked on. Their 5 string is nice too, it's all about what you like.

6. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    Martin Petersen at http://www.thebassgallery.com makes and sells various jazz basses. You could ask him if he knows of any secondhand Sadowski's. He has a lot of contacts.

7. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    i too played them @ BB, and was very impressed. but i'd get them in the heavier northern ash. that one had thunder its in blood. the regular swampy in silver didnt quite have the shakin' booty.

8. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    I don't understand how a luthier couldn't be impressed by these instruments. The one's I've seen were perfect in every way; typical Japanese perfectionism.

Okay, the design isn't particularly innovative (more Marcus-modded '77 Jazz clones), but the fit and finish kicks the a$$ of anything comparable in the $1000-$1500 range. You could get a better Fender, but only if you went to the Custom Shop.

9. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

It's a shame that the pictures on the website are so poor quality.

I love this bass! I want it so bad!!!

[​IMG]

10. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    I love the concept but the spacing at the nut looks like it would be a little cramped.

11. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    It's not cramped, even on the 17mm models (and I like wide spacing).

My understanding is that the majority of the bass is made in house, including the electronics and bridge. Build-wise they're top notch.

12. BassFelt

BassFelt

Mar 26, 2002
    Of course - but the original post was about a 4-string. I would probaly own one if they did, as I'm quite happy with my Deluxe V JB ( the version with Lace Sensors without pickgurad).

I'm curious to try the Atelier Z myself, since I see varying opinions. I doubt that one has ever reached Holland though.

Anyway, my 6-string is on the way and will be kinda similar, but to my specs.

13. PhatBasstard

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    I like wide spacing too, but I was talking about the nut, not the bridge. My six is 17mm at the bridge. This jazz 6 just seems to have too much taper from bridge (where the spacing looks fine) to the nut (where it looks cramped).

14. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Cool... I can tell you three things.

I really, really prefer wide spacing.
    I tried the 6 at NY Guitar & Bass Boutique.
    It wasn't cramped for me.

If I hadn't already... I'd try one before I'd rule it out.

15. j3b3r

j3b3r

Aug 19, 2000
    I have an Atelier-Z Tomohito Aoki 4 stringer model.
    Bought it 2nd hand for about 600 US $(basses sold pretty cheap in Indonesia, but good basses r hard to find here)

It sounds really nice, really worth it for the price
    but i don't hear any diffrence with my fender jazz tho

if u want to hear, u should find a Tomohito Aoki CDs
    or his band "T-square"

u'll love this bass if u love a jazzbass

But i can say this bass is very wellmade !!
    very far wellmade, more then a fender :)

16. PhatBasstard

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Theres is a 5 string one of these on BASSGEAR.COM right now. He's asking $1400.

17. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    That's the bass I mentioned. Belongs to a friend of mine (and fellow TBer). It's in excellent shape.