Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

ATF's First Recorded Song

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Juneau, Aug 4, 2004.

1. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Hi all,

A lifelong friend of mine and I started playing together about 10 months ago, me on Bass, him on Drums (and eventually guitar and organ/piano as well.) My friend, Kevin Luther wrote the material and played all the tracks on this song aside from the bass as well as mastered it. It was all done on a home computer with an Audigy EX Sound card, and Adobe Audition Software. The bass was done on my Dingwall Afterburner 5, straight into the mixer, into the sound card.

Really appreciate any comments, criticisms, or compliments in advance.

American Transient Funk - Songs

[edit] 11/15 - Changed Links to Purevolume - Completed Songs will go up as they are done! [/edit]

2. freakbass

freakbass "Pile-drivingly Heavy" since 1983

A little constructive criticism.

The initial bass part may be a little too complex. It just doesn't seem to groove well. I think if you played the same relative "shape" on the fretboard, but not so many notes, it would be pretty sweet. About :50 in is really cool. I dig the bass/piano part.

Very nice for a first recording. Keep it up!

3. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Yeah the timing on that bass part isnt exactly right either, he nudged some things around on it, and I think it flowed better in its original concept. Im going over to re-record some this weekend, maybe Ill get a recording I like better to replace it with. Anyhow, thanks for checking it out Freakbass, appreciate the criticism.

4. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    I really like it, very groovy. I actually like the intro as it is.

Though, I feel the song would benefit from different, more "constant" drumming to support and add to your bassline.

Good work buddy.

5. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Thanks a lot for the comments. Should be doing some recording this weekend, hopefully have an updated version on Monday. Hope you guys will check it out again afterwards and let me know what you think of any changes we make.

Appreciate the input from the community :)

6. freakbass

schweet. I'd be glad to check out the updated version.

7. needs more cowbell
    j/k :D

8. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Don't Fear the Reaper hehe

9. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    "Explore the studio Bruce"

10. christoph h.

christoph h.

Mar 26, 2001
    Germany
    it's nice, but i have to agree with the above criticism.
    all in all it's probably not tight enough for what i'm expecting from funk music. even for a "loose feel" it somehow doesn't work...

... and the only prescription is more cowbell.

or perhaps re-record it, since there are cool ideas.

11. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Thanks for the comments Christoph. Uploaded a new, slightly corrected version that sounds better timing wise we think. Bass track will be re-recorded tomorrow to see if we can get something a little better, and Ill upload that Monday.

12. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Updated the original song, and added a couple new ones, appreciate any more comments or listens, thanks a lot!

13. christoph h.

christoph h.

Mar 26, 2001
    Germany
    first, please keep that i'm not a native english speaker. :)

the groove

i noticed an improvement, but i'd say that freakbass' comment still applies. however, i don't think that the part is necessarily to busy, just that the hammer-on(?)-part isn't played tightly/exactly enough.

the other lines are cool, though at some point during the song i wished that there would be something happening. this is probably directed more towards the composer, but there's no real "lead" or hook part. also, the dynamics of the song stay pretty much the same, making real highlights (such as the semi-unison-part) harder to find.

june tune & traffic

well, most of the above is still true for these two tunes. somehow the instruments don't really "gel" - the playing definately has to be a lot tighter and more confident.

the music is very "cool", nevertheless this intented attitude isn't transported through/by the musicians.

but with some time invested into polishing the parts and arrangements you'll definitely end up with something very enjoyable! the raw material in itself is very promising!

14. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Thanks a lot Christoph for giving another listen. Waiting for some software (B4) to redo some of the organ tracks so they sound more like the B3/Leslie combo sound. When we get that, we will deffinantly take your suggestions and see what we can do.

As for tightness or confidence in playing, that will only come with time I think hehe. We've both only been playing right at one year now, and have a lot of improvement to make in the future. Hopefully that experience will bring us closer to funk tightness your refering too, and we'll do our best in the meantime :)

Appreciate you listening, thanks a lot!

15. freakbass

100% agreed. I think with time, y'alls stuff is gonna be pretty cool. :bassist:

16. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Thanks for checking em out and the kind words Freakbass, appreciate it :)

17. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Got your pm, I like it even more than the first time. I like how it grooves great and seems to not even worry about tacking on wanky solo spots.

Did the drums change? I remember not really "feeling" the drumming on the first clips you posted, but drums on the revised version seem to really fit the piece.

I would see a show if your band came to MS.

18. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Thanks a bunch Abark000, yeah the drums did change at your suggestion they be more constant :)

Appreciate ya giving us another listen, let me know what you think of the other two songs if you get a chance to check them out!

Also, here is the beggining of the 4th one, just an intro so far and keyboard bass, but you can get an idea. I really like where this one is going a lot.

American Transient Funk - Two Bits (Intro)

19. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    I really liked the second song, cool little spoken word/rap thing. The third song didn't grab me like the other two, I'll re-listen to it tomorrow when I am not so tired.

20. MrCharlie

MrCharlie

Jul 26, 2004
    dallas
    Ok, there's really no nuggets of wisdom I can dazzle everyone with. So, I'll tell it like it is...

The foundation is there. It's even On. yes, the connection between the drums and the bass needs to be even tighter... and if it were, you two definately would then be a frightening force to be reckoned with. In light of you guys only playing at these levels for 10 months, consider yourselves only slightly ahead of schedule.

MrsCharlie was in the tub when I asked her, "Who do you think this is?" during twobits(intro).. she said "MMW?" with some cautious confidence. That's compliment enough IMHO.

Now the really hard part comes. How in the hell is Kev going to grow enough arms and legs to play drums and keys?!?! Truthfully, I could not decide which he does better. there is so much potential either way, but if you want to start gigging eventually, eventually a choice must be made... at least for outside the studio purposes.

Overall, it's a great start. Ambitious? of course. Interesting? obviously. Blew my mind? I'm scared of you 10 months from now! I'll be welcoming your call to come over and play anytime, yo. Keep up the good work. Focus.

chooba chooba, MrCharlie