1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Atheist - 'Jupiter'

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by dozicusmaximus, Nov 5, 2010.

1. dozicusmaximus

dozicusmaximus

Mar 18, 2009
    Austin, TX
    Comes out on the 8th.
    Was able to preview it last night. It is freaking awesome. A little bit more Piece of Time-ish to me. But I will have to listen to it again. Definitely not much Elements moments though. :bassist: :bassist:
    Its been 17 yrs since the last release. So recording technology has come a long way. And it sounds great.

[​IMG]

2. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    figures that a band called "Atheist" would me a metal band....:meh:

I would have made a it a jazz band, to confound folks. Or maybe a happy pop group... A boy band maybe! Wouldn't THAT be a hoot!

3. BullHorn

BullHorn

Nov 23, 2006
    Israel
    Wow! Good thing I got me an Ibanez SR505 to play some Atheist tunes once it's out (IIRC, most of Elements was recorded with a SoundGear! :D)

4. somegeezer

somegeezer

Oct 1, 2009
    England
    It's a Jazz Metal band. =P
    On the plus side. I'm looking forward to how the production sounds now.

5. steamthief

steamthief

Jan 25, 2006
    Mentone Beach
    Awesome cover artwork!

6. dozicusmaximus

dozicusmaximus

Mar 18, 2009
    Austin, TX
  7. Who's playing bass, Tony Choy?

8. dozicusmaximus

dozicusmaximus

Mar 18, 2009
    Austin, TX
    I think he layed down the tracks. But according to the all knowing wiki, he is no longer with the band.

9. Doctor J

Doctor J

Dec 23, 2005
    Roger Patterson and Tony Choy both used the SR800, all three albums were recorded with a Soundgear.

Have been counting down the days, since 17 years ago, for this album to be made. My pre-order was posted yesterday, it seems :hyper:

Tony didn't record this one, there was a squabble shortly before he was due to record his tracks. Jonathan Thompson, the guitarist, handled bass on this, he plays bass in Steve Flynn's other band Gnostic

He's a player, don't worry ;)

10. BullHorn

BullHorn

Nov 23, 2006
    Israel
    Sounds less promising but it might still work. I haven't heard Steve on the bass. I thought it was an SR500 he used but an SR800 would be just as good. :p

11. dozicusmaximus

dozicusmaximus

Mar 18, 2009
    Austin, TX
    This makes sense, I was wondering why it sounded like he was holding back a bit. The bass does sound good though. And he knows what he's doing.
    Also Gnostic is awesome. Atheist's little brother :D :bassist:

12. SactoBass

SactoBass A retired civil engineer who likes all-tube amps! Supporting Member

Well, I had a listen to "Second to Sun", and I don't think this band is any type of jazz band. I think these guys are more along the lines of James Taylor. Yeah, Second to Sun reminded me alot of You've Got a Friend by JT. Very melodic.

13. IconBasser

IconBasser Scuba Viking Supporting Member

Feb 28, 2007
    Fontana, California
    not bad. As cool as I think their ideas are, the chaos of their music never really sounded good to me. To each their own.

14. Rob17

Rob17 Banned

Aug 28, 2009
    Holland
    People live their lives, by something the've never seen...
    Dreaming all their lives, off a place the've never been...
    Why can't you see you live a lie....
    Humor yourself until you die...
    We're Atheist as you can see....
    We are just our own divinity...
    There's no thruth...

This is probebly one off THE best metal songs ever.

I have a live recording from a gig in Florida, it was I believe, that sounds awsome.
    Way better that their first album.
    Way faster...
    I had that tape before the first album came out, it was a bit of a dissapointment, compared to that tape.
    But still a great album.

15. dozicusmaximus

dozicusmaximus

Mar 18, 2009
    Austin, TX
    Well if you listen to some of their older albums you will hear the jazz influence. There is also latin influence scattered around too.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TajIq9I8BA&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utqWrkVEQvI&feature=related

16. somegeezer

somegeezer

Oct 1, 2009
    England
    I can hear quite a lot of Jazz influence even in the new song on the myspace page. I just think a lot of people without a trained Metal ear seem to think of it as noise. But when you've been listening to it for you whole life, you get used to it and hear things a lot of others can't. In their "chaos" as an above comment said, I can hear so much melody and groove. =P

17. Welcome news. Definitely looking forward to this release. Hope there is a vinyl version.

18. Rob17

Rob17 Banned

Aug 28, 2009
    Holland
    +1

19. bassike

bassike

Apr 24, 2008
    Montreal
    there will be a vinyl i just checked out relapse records.

does anyone know what happened to the YYZ version they announced?

20. bassike

bassike

Apr 24, 2008
    Montreal
    anyone bought it yet?

I can’t stop listening to it I really like it but I think it could have been better if tony choy was there.
    Not that the guy who recorded is a bad player but the bass lines are not as mind blowing as the other albums.