Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by volumefiend, Aug 15, 2004.

1. Well. It seems not one person here has given attention to the Olympics on this forum.

Lets discuss Athens 2004!
  2. Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Doesn't look like Phelps will make his 7 gold haul....

(How informed do I sound? :) )

Actually I have been watching is a little, but the 3:30am timeslot for night finals is a little difficult!
  3. whew dang this is really taking off
  4. Corbis

Corbis Guest

Feb 19, 2003
    Wamego KS
    Ok I'm highjacking it. :D Why don't you think there's much interest this year? Ticket sales are slow and rarely see anything about it on the TV.
  5. Pause

Jun 4, 2003
    Miami, FL
    I see plenty on tv. I will say, however, that there is not nearly enough badminton coverage.
  6. fatbassjazzer

Feb 27, 2004
    I actually saw badminton today on TV and I never thought the game could be taken to such a level. I saw the floor gymnastics earlier and I was amazed by the things they can do of the flat groud. I draw my limit at a cartwheel. :smug:
  7. Wow, every match/game/whatever I see all the seats in whatever stadium are half empty :meh:

Looks like Team USA Basketball wont get a gold for the first time since we've started using NBA players.

I think some more "exciting" events should be added, , extreme sports, etc.

I'll still keep watching, hopefully something interesting will come on.
  8. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Well Australia is currently second in the overall medal count behind China. Not bad for a country with such a small population. I guess we'll get burried once the swimming stops and the athletics start, but so far we're going quite well.

Has anyone ever had the Olympics come to their home town in their lifetime. Sydney 2000 was quite possible the best time of my life. I want the Olympics back here ASAP!!!!!!!!!

9. I wish I had been older for the 96 games in Atlanta, I definitely could of gone to that.

The '08 games are in London, correct? Maybe if I'm financially able to, it would be cool to go to see in person.
  10. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I heard Beijing, but they're gonna lose it once the IOC sees the bid I'm preparing a bid for Sydney :)

Apparently Beijing is allmost ready to go. Stadium's built etc etc.....
  11. Yeah, why's it so un-talked about this year? I didn't even know it was going on until today. There's usually alot of hype.

12. I thought Beijing was 12? Or was that Moscow? Agh, my mind went blank. But I'm sure I'm probably wrong about everything :p

My city was in the original bid for the '12 (or it may be '16) games, but our name was dropped eventually for some reason I don't even remember.

13. My guess is cause its not being held in a western country? :meh:

And Petebass, good luck with your next syndey bid, it took Los Angeles 52 years before they got it for a second time :D
  14. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    The spirit of the Olympics to me is one of my favorite things. Here are athletes from around the world that have nothing in common except that they are all at the top of their game. It's great to see such a gathering of human achievment in one city, even if it's only every second year.

Does someone have a list of all the cities where the Olympics are to be held that are set in stone, including the winter games?
  15. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Beijing in '08. Everyone was already SERIOUSLY hyped about it and selling t-shirts when I was there in '01-'02. I'd love to go back for the olympics but Beijing is already crazy just during the holidays. It's going to be a total nuthouse during the Olympics.

brad cook
  16. Gia

Feb 28, 2001
    it's beijing in 08, and they haven't decided where it's going to be in 2012.

hopefully it will be london because it will force the government to improve the transport. and there will be more tourists to scam :D

i mean help along :ninja:
  17. Is the USA not as dominant as it was before?????

18. Just wait til Track and Field starts, which has always been historically our strongest area.

As far as medals are concerned now, we're in a three way tie with china and australia...although we're considered 3rd, since china has more golds, then followed by australia.
  19. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I'm too busy watching. I'm on vacation :cool:

Women's beach volleyball is on, Germany vs. Bulgaria. :D
  20. The "Dream Team"....