Athens, Georgia

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by slackdaddy, Aug 3, 2004.

1. slackdaddy

Mar 1, 2004
    Athens, GA
    Endorsing Artist: David Eden Amplifiers / Rob Wave Custom basses
    I was just wondering if there is anyone else in here from Athens, Georgia or the surrounding areas?
  2. SoyBase

Jul 1, 2001
    Atlanta, Ga
    I'm an Atlanta boy, but I used to play in Athens quite a bit. My old guitar player used to work at Compadres before it closed down, luckily, he knew a lot of owners around the area.

I miss the Hi-Hat (now the cheesy Firehouse or whatever). Don't miss lugging gear up and down the stairs at DT's and playing the 120 degree sweaty basement :D

My girlfriend swears by the Grit...I ate there twice before realizing it was a vegetarian place!
  3. Yep...spent a few fun years in Athens, currently reside near Winder. One of my buddies runs a recording studio in the Athens area, and lots of old friends are still gigging around town. If the music scene is anything like it used to be, there should be tons of good bands and cool places to play.
  4. I'm in "East" Lawrenceville - almost Dacula. Grew up in Stone Mtn. I've spent a lot of time in Athens, mostly in the late 70's, early-mid 80's - still go there every few months - have inlaws in Watkinsville.

my username should be obvious (except for the ""00" part).
  5. slackdaddy

Mar 1, 2004
    Athens, GA
    Endorsing Artist: David Eden Amplifiers / Rob Wave Custom basses
    We (Slackdaddy) played the High Hat once. It is the only time we were ever banned from a club. I have been in Athens for 8 years or so. I have worked at the 40watt club for 5-6 years now. I play in Atlanta fairly often.
  6. I used to live in Atlanta. I miss it!!!
  7. JohnL

Sep 20, 2000
    Grayson, GA
    I'm in Grayson, on the way between ATL and Athens.
  8. yo JohnL!

I'm near GA-20 and Simonton road. Where are you in Grayson?
  9. HRC Matt

HRC Matt

Aug 31, 2004
    Columbus, Ga
    Moved to Athens about a year ago. Good town with good people and great venues.
  10. supermonkey

Mar 15, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    I'm in Atlanta. I've played in Athens 3 times in the last 2 months.
  11. The 40watt RULES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Originaly from Sandersville, GA - bout an hour and a half from Athens. I grew up with TK, Ed and Dave from Grand Fury - know some of the guys in Modern Skirts - haven't seen them in a while though............been living down in sunny Daytona Beach for around 6 months now. It has been a while since I have been to Athens. The last time I was there was for the DBT - Three Night Stand / Jan 05'.............need to get back that way soon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  12. TL5

Jun 27, 2005
    I used to live, work, and play in Gwinnett County. Norcross, next Lawrenceville, then Sugar Hill.
    I never played in Athens but visited on occasion.

I don't miss metro Atlanta at all. Then again, I moved to Nashville. ;)
  13. machine gewehr

machine gewehr

Sep 17, 2005
    Hey there neighbour,greetings from Turkey!!! :smug:
  14. I have a very close friend ( = my 'brotha' ) who is a really groovy musician in Athens. Plays in small, jazz/experimental projects as a synth/sequencing/sax/flute/guitar/vocalist - I am still collaborating with him long-distance style. So if any of y'all are fortunate to be jammin' with my bro, Stacey, good for you!

And you could give him a chuckle by telling him you ran into tZer in the TB forum.
  15. jordanm

Feb 24, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Just moved back to Atl after a four year stint in Athens, still visit a good bit. Toppers tues night? hmmm