Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Athlon 64 vs. Pentium M?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Captain Awesome, Jul 1, 2004.

1. Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome

Apr 2, 2001
    PDX
    Not sure whether this really belongs here or in Recording, because computers are used for recording, but... for those of you who are familiar, which do you have a more favorable opinion of?

(It'll be a notebook/laptop.)

2. Athlon 64 all the way...what kind of comp do you want tho, gaming, recording, business,etc...?

3. Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome

Apr 2, 2001
    PDX
    Mainly recording, as far as processing-intensive applications go. The M and 64 seem to be Intel's and AMD's most advanced mobile CPUs so I have it narrowed down to those two.

4. hmmmm tough disscion(sp?).....maybe pentium...why not a poll! :p

5. Well, I'm gonna say this: There is no answer. It's been argued for centuries, but people still buy both. I'm an AMD guy myself, because they have better value. I have an Athlon64 3000+ in my main machine. People who build their machines tend to go AMD, while computer manufacturers like Intel.

Anyhow, either way, you won't be dissapointed.

Oh, I'm not sure how well this holds water, but your average somewhat-informed computer person will tell you that AMDs are better for games, while Intel is better for applications.

6. IMO, buy an AMD Athlon XP 2800+ or something along those lines. If it's a recording PC, you don't need the fastest processor on the market.

7. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    A more fair comparison would be Athlon 64 vs. Intel Xeon. The Xeon is way more expensive though. I think I'd go with the 64 even if they were the same price. Pentium M is good stuff too though.

brad cook

8. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    A P4 1.5ghz. would work fine for most of your recording needs. Buy a lot of RAM and a fast (wide) motherboard.

edit: D'oh missed the notebook part! Sorry. Get the best you can afford, as notebooks are harder to upgrade. You will need outboard gear so look for the most connectivity possible, like multiple USB 2, firewire ports etc.

9. grovest

grovest

Feb 26, 2002
    Oregon
    I would choose Pentium M for a mobile because of the far greater selection of models from vendors that install Pentium Ms.

But I wouldn't want to do recording on a laptop. You will at the very least need outboard audio as notebook audio sections are notoriously noisey.

10. Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome

Apr 2, 2001
    PDX
    There are a few Athlon 64 notebooks on the market though, and they get glowing reviews for the most part.

I understand I will need an outboard audio interface, considering that most laptops only have a "Mic" input that is useless for music.

11. grovest

grovest

Feb 26, 2002
    Oregon
    Yeah, I follow. And there are many Pentium Ms on the market that get glowing reviews.
    To be honest I was hoping to hear your thinking behind using a laptop and based on that perhaps offer other ways to record audio 'in the field'. But it sounds like you've thought this all through.

12. Jeff Moote

Jeff Moote Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    I agree with everything said so far, and my vote goes to the pentium M. Centrino technology rocks for mobile with integrated wireless capabilities and all, and they're deadly fast. A 1.6M is comparable to an A64 3000+ easily, in raw processing power. Which is better? Neither, they're both good and different, but I've said what I would choose.

13. Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome

Apr 2, 2001
    PDX
    This will be my main computer, and I plan on keeping it for many years (unless it breaks). I do not anticipate doing any on-the-field recording with it, the main reason I want a laptop is so it is easily relocatable.
    The Pentium M is a clear winner for battery life, but since I will be using it plugged in almost all the time, that's not too much of an issue. I just want to know all I can.

14. grovest

grovest

Feb 26, 2002
    Oregon
    If you won't be moving around much I URGE you to get a traditional desktop workstation.

It will be more reliable and durable, easier and cheaper to service, easier and cheaper to upgrade and buy peripherals for, and much less expensive per Mhz. All of these things are or will be important if this is going to be your main machine for many years.

15. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    In practical apps I'm fairly certain the 64 will smoke the M.

brad cook

16. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    If the software is designed for the 64, yes. Is there anyone making software like that yet? AFAIK, it's all 32.

17. doesn't matter, Bliss.

18. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    The 64 runs 32 bit software faster than most anything out there as well. There are various reasons that it can also run 32 bit faster and Microsoft hasn't seemed to figure it out yet for there 64 bit chips, which must be run in either 32 bit or 64 bit mode and cannot easily interchange between software.

brad cook

19. It's worth noting that window's 64 bit trial operating system doesnt run on the intel itanium, only the AMD.

I have an AMD 64 3000+ and I'm quite happy with it.

20. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    jrthebassguy,

To be fair though I believe that I've read that the Itanium is faster at 64 bit operations than the AMD 64. It's just very slow for 32 bit ops though and it has to be switched over to run 32 bit apps.

brad cook