ATK 100 - SRX 505

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fraggs5, Sep 12, 2005.

1. fraggs5

Mar 27, 2005
    Im currently playing a black Ibanez ATK 100, which i bought used with an amp for 200 (a steal, i know.) The bass has treated me very well, but im thinking about upgrading to a new SRX 505. First of all because I want to go 5 string, and secondly, i like most things about the srx. The only problem is the thinner neck (which dosent seem as bad on the 505 than on the 500 ( 4string). My concerns are that i dont know if I just have really bad GAS, or if it would really improve my play. And on a lesser note, the color i want (translucent blue, on the 500) isnt available on the 505.

I play punk rock, alt rock, and classic rock ( think staind, rhcp, thrice, jimmy eat world, van halen, led zep...)

My rig...

98 ATK 100
    Hartke 7000

By the way, i dont want responses from naysaying ignorant ibanez bashers (however, if you have good suggestions from other companies, im open to suggestion)

Thank you.
  2. fraggs5

Mar 27, 2005
    I was also thinking about getting a new ATK 305, but as i understand, they are only made and sold in Japan. Is there any way i could import one (or does anybody want to sell a nice used higher end atk?
  3. I actually played the same bass you are considering. (SRX505) I wasn't too impressed with it. For the money, I'd say check out Tribute by G&L. If you're into Johny April's stuff, then you should give it serious thought. I'm pretty sure he made the perminent switch over from Ibanez SRs to G&L for the new album "Chapter V" which, by the way, is my favorite to-date Staind album! :bassist: Definatley give it a listen if you havn't!

Anyway, I'm pretty sure the model he is using now is the L-2500. I've only heard good things about the Tribute line, and am actually considering the same model myself. I think that it surpasses the SRX series in everyway, especially in tone.

4. Mr. April's taste in instruments change as dramatically as the seasons... I remember for some time he could be seen with a Carvin XB-75... ho-hum.

Nevertheless, weigh your options by trying each out before making the final purchase. You never know.

Personally, I own an Ibanez RKB900 which treated me very well from Boston to NY but required quite a number of neck and bridge adjustments with each gig, ride, and stop. My only complaint about Ibby's have to be their overall lack of stability. Other than that, the tone IS great and I wouldn't trade my girl for any other P/J series bass, even if I was offered a Fodera. I would cry having to reject the offer, but sentimental value exceeds that of anything else.
  5. I just don't get the whole "Brand Hyping" either. I think a bass that means something to you is better than a bass that means more to everyone else.

Anyway, rant ended.

6. Agreed.