1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

ATK 300 series fret buzzing, can I fix this myself??

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by gregmon79, Mar 8, 2013.

1. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    Hey all, I have dead spots (buzzing) frets. Mainly on the A string on the 8th and 9th fret. And a little on the 14th fret, A sting. I'm sure I need a setup or whatever you'd call it, intonated, but is there anything that I can do/try to improve this without spending the dough to take it somewhere??

2. mattattack187

mattattack187 Bass Enthusiast Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2012
    Ellsworth, ME
    Does the buzzing keep the note from playing properly? If not then you can either try to lighten up on your plucking or raise your string action. You could also try to loosen the truss (about a 1/4 turn) if raising the action doesn't work.

3. gregmon79

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    It still plays the note fine, just some nasty buzz on the fretboard at times. I will try raising the action a little. I lowered it a little bit awhile back. But it's always seemed to have a little buzz on this frets. How do I loosen the truss rod and do I have to wait to play it again so it can adjust itself properly if I do in fact adjust the truss?

4. jgroh

jgroh Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Are the frets high there? Maybe have them check the height of them to make sure they are even.

5. Andyman001

Andyman001 moderation must be taken with a grain of salt Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2010
    Idaho
    Read the set up stickies and do it your self.

also, if it is only on one string, raise the saddle a bit, Like Mattattack said

6. gregmon79

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    I will check the stickies. I'm not familiar with the stickies are/were. Thanks for the advice. I raised the action a little bit and it did make quite an improvement. I lowered it a while back thinking it would improve speed. Quite honestly I don't know what I was thinking, the type of styles I okay aren't even that fast.