Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

ATK 305 replacement pickup review

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by AllodoX, Jul 12, 2002.

1. picked up my ATK 5-string replacement pickup from Bassculture up today :)

enjoy the crappy pictures ( webcam ) and crummy mp3's ( allodox :rolleyes: )

notice how the new one totally lacks any form of humming or buzzing :D

it does not have the "click"-like highs the stock pickups have, and it CERTAINLY has a LOT more output than the stock pickups. i actually had to put it in the -10dB input coz it clipped the 0dB input

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

http://www.allodox.nl/media/old_serial.mp3
    http://www.allodox.nl/media/old_parallel.mp3
    http://www.allodox.nl/media/old_single.mp3

http://www.allodox.nl/media/new_serial.mp3
    http://www.allodox.nl/media/new_parallel.mp3

2. oh yeah i forgot to mention..

it costs 110 euro ( $ 105 i think ? ) and comes complete with a brief but clear ( german ) instruction-sheet and a replacement flipper-switch.

the CS of bassculture is the best i've ever experienced. e-mail was answered within half a day and always friendly. i went over there to pick the thing up today and Christopher Dolf ( the man behind bassculture ) is a real friendly man :) even tho he's german, he speaks and writes english ( in case you wish to contact him :) )

3. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Sounds good! Nice not to have that buzz, too.

4. yeah.. specially that buzz is annoying.. ibanez makes good basses but uses crappy pickups.. replacing the pickups is a big improvement.

5. Sharp

Sharp

Jan 27, 2002
    Oakland
    Artists Relations, KMI
    a bit of an incubus fan, are we? tight. sounds damn fine too.

6. incubus is nice :)

7. a bit of a Muse fan too?;)

I got the impression that the B string sounds a bit clearer with the new pickup.

the wood pickup cover looks interesting.
    I found the ATK pickup a bit uncomfortable for resting my thumb on- and the extended bridgeplate/pickup surround doesn't help either.

did you ever do mp3's of your customised Squier with the bridge humbucker?

8. yeah the stock pickup has way more highs.

but this one sounds a lot better to me.. i don't like highs anyway.

9. will do that soon.. getting a new neck for it next week ( maple + maple fretboard )

I think the maple pickup gives the ATK a high-end look.. it's hard to see on the photo's tho.. if you look at it as a whole it looks very, very nice :)

10. next up is a transparant-black ( " smoked " it's called i think ) pickguard :D

11. superphat

superphat

Sep 30, 2001
    what was your recording chain?
    nice fat, clean recording!

12. ATK305 ( flat eq ) -> aria AW30 ( flat eq ).line-out -> sound blaster LIVE!.line-in

13. thought I'd join in the Stingray-alike mp3ing :D ;

this is my Dearmond Jetstar Special with a Kent Armstrong MM p/up;
    maple neck, rosewood fingerboard, agathis body, Gotoh 201 copy bridge.
    in parallel mode, passive, wired straight to the output jack;

http://mysite.freeserve.com/audiofiles/DearmondMM.mp3

it doesn't have the weight and power of a real 'Ray (and no high-end sparkle due to no active circuit), but I'm happy with the sound, especially since I bought the bass for £65, and the p/up for £40.
    it also looks cool:p

14. I just got a ATK 305 5 string last week. I love the sound of it. I wouldn't change the pickup on mine.. I like it the way it sounds.. Its has a nice clear sounding voice to it/ it is way better than my MMstingray plus it can do more than a MM... the only thing I am having troubles with is setting my string low enough on the neck.. the bridge just won't go any lower... I like my stings as low as the frets will tolerate..... I just put a shim under the neck but it wasn't enough.... so basicly I like this bass but I dont like the hight action on the strings.... I am going to try one more shim and see what I can do.... oh! nice Pickup Allodoxs.[​IMG]

15. superphat

superphat

Sep 30, 2001
    the atk (to me) just seems like a medium action - digging in hard - type of bass, and not a super low action - slapping and 2-hand-tapping type of bass.
    but if you want to adjust it, maybe you should take it to a luthier...
    maybe routing the body a little bit under the bridge...?

16. There is no way in the world that I'm going to rout the body out for the bridge ,, but thanks for thinking of that, Chief... A luthier would just put another shim under the neck.... I have been doing my own set-up's for 20 years. I don't think any luthier around here is going do a better job than me...It sometimes takes a couple of days to get the neck and string action just right......... Superphat...I hardly do any slapping on any bass. I mostly play fretless and I like my action really low........If I can't get this bass to do that I will just have to sell it................I am thinking about putting on smaller bridge string retainers....the Fender one's are smaller....I don't know if will work yet............

Fetch!

17. I sort of like the first one, with the exception of the buzz.

18. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Ditto, mine does not buzz, and to me, the highs make that bass. ALLODOX HAS COMMITED SACRALIGE! Nah not really, hey, is that pickup more midrangy? i need mids, alot of them as possible.

19. i have some questions, if I may.
    I have a 1996 ATK 300. The E string seems to be much louder and more powerful than the rest. (i also have a 300FL - same story)

1. Did you experience a similar situation with the stock pup?
    2. Did the new pickup solve the annomaly?
    3. Do you know if that company will ship to the US?
    4. do you know if they offer any other covers than wood? (I'd prefer plastic)

Thank you very much for the info. It is good so finally find someone with some ATK knowledge.
    Take Care.

20. bump for allodox