1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

ATK buzz an issue?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by pkmoor, Nov 29, 2010.

1. pkmoor

pkmoor

Jun 4, 2009
    Maple Glen, PA
    I got one of the ATK-305's being blown out the other weekend. I took it to a gig on Saturday, but did not use it due to a fairly loud buzz. My usual rig is a G&L L-2500 (used passive only - no battery) into an Acoustic B200 amp. Active/Passive input change made no effect, ground switch had no effect. Buzz went away when I turned down the volume on the ATK. No buzz using the G&L. Is it possible something is faulty or am I just not compensating for something with the active vs. the passive? Thanks.

2. NicJimBass

NicJimBass Flossin'? I thought your name was Munson! Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Lancaster, OH
    64 Audio · DR Strings · Source Audio · Hipshot
    Doesn't sound right. Could be a grounding issue... perhaps a loose wire. If you know what you're doing, you can probably find it and solder it back. If not, get it checked out. My ATK700 didn't buzz at all, FWIW.

3. I have to second that. I have 4 ATKs and only one of them sounded terrible with buzzing and it turned out to be a grounding issue. this was on a 15 year old ATK by the way. the wire going from the bridge to the cavity had broken somewhere in the tunnel, so I didnt really notice anything wrong, until I looked that the grounding wire was missing altogether. fixed that and was good to go. none of my other ATKs buzz at all. just minor hiss when you crank the treble on the bass and your amps volume. good luck finding the solution, sounds like a pretty simple solder issue somewhere.

4. pkmoor

pkmoor

Jun 4, 2009
    Maple Glen, PA
    Thanks for the responses. I want to check the battery too since I heard that can cause a buzz in active basses.