Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

ATK Preamp help! Should I replace it?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by xJasonSmithx, Nov 30, 2004.

1. xJasonSmithx

xJasonSmithx Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2003
    Memphis, TN
    I picked up an ATK 300 about a month ago and come to find out the volume pot has been replaced and it is too short to put a nut on. The knob was basically tightened on the tip of the pots shaft so it falls off very easily. Since these pots are wired into the one piece pre would it be an expensive move to get a long pot put in its place?

The pre is cool but im not exactly crazy about it. Has anyone ever put an aftermarket pre into an atk? what were the results?

What would you do in my situation?

-Jason

2. xJasonSmithx

Jun 25, 2003
    Memphis, TN
    Can anyone help me out on this one?

-Jason

3. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Can you take a photo?

4. shirojiro

shirojiro

Jan 24, 2001
    San Francisco
    I have an ATK300, and I actually like the preamp in the bass. The highs add a bit of hiss when you rank them, but I think that the frequencies they chose for the preamp are pretty musical. Even the mids are nicely chosen.

That said, I've always liked the sound of the Sadowsky preamp, and the Bartolini NTBT.

If I had your problem, I'd take the whole thing out and replace the one bad pot. It'd be the easiest and cheapest thing to do.

5. That's funny, a guy that works at one of the local shops was telling me the other day that he had to do the exact same repair on an ATK. He said he used a regular pot (it takes a 25k) and mounted it as you would regularly and then soldered leads from the pot to the preamp board. It's probably not the BEST way to go, but it would be the cheapest.

6. xJasonSmithx

Jun 25, 2003
    Memphis, TN
    Yeah I will take a photo soon.

-Jason