Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

atk question...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by thetaurus, May 21, 2004.

1. thetaurus

thetaurus

May 28, 2002
    Muncy, PA
    so i think i might be buying back my old atk. not totally sure yet, but it's looking good. anyway...i was wondering about any possible upgrades to the pickup/preamp? anyone know anything that would be easy or worth doing?

2. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    isnt the ATK pickup triple coil? i dont think there are many aftermarket manufacturers that make triple coils.

3. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too
    why would you wanna change anything? what's wrong with it? is it a US or import?

I haven't, and will not change a thing on my ATK....the thing blows away every stingray I've played... what's to change?

4. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too
    don't think so... there is a dummy position in the switch... so it's a 2way.

5. thetaurus

thetaurus

May 28, 2002
    Muncy, PA
    it's an import. anyway...i was just wondering about possible upgrades. who knows what i'll do. i was thinking about possibly changing the pickup to a basslines mm pickup. i know that would be some extra work to route out the metal and all, but i'm sure it could be done. anyway...i probably won't do much of anything to it. but...i still need to decide if i'm even going to buy it yet!

6. kazuhank

kazuhank

Nov 12, 2002
    Portland, OR
    Do a search as this has been discussed in the pickup forum.

Are you talking 4 or 5 string? As far as the 5 string ATK goes, there is an overseas (Denmark I think??) manufacturer that makes a drop in replacement, but all of the standard US stingray replacements (seymour, bartolini) will NOT fit in the body route, and more importantly, the large metal bridge/pickup ring combo. I looked into this on the ATK 305 but am unsure of the 4s.

7. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Search the pickups forum for posts about the ATK by Allodox. He changed out the pickup in his (a 305, I think it was). He used a European pickup maker, German, I think, and got a nice maple pickup cover with it.

8. thetaurus

thetaurus

May 28, 2002
    Muncy, PA
    yeah...i've heard of the bassculture pickups. i know that a typical mm pickup won't directly fit, but that's what dremels are made for.

9. kazuhank

kazuhank

Nov 12, 2002
    Portland, OR
    don't forget you'll have to dremel through the chrome plated bridge and who knows what's under the chrome plating.