Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

ATK

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by chris h, Sep 25, 2002.

1. chris h

chris h Guest

Jun 16, 2002
    Oxford, England
    Right, quite straightforward, this one..

I already own two basses which do everything perfectly, but I am looking at getting a five string (I have to spend my money on something..!) I am very keen on the Ibanez ATK series. I think it will compliment my jazz and Precision nicely.

My basic question is this: How does the new atk 405 compare to the old ones like the 305? I am much more likely to get a 405, but have looked in the archives and most 'ATK' threads soom to refer to the 305's. I know it has more frets, smaller body and different pickups, but is there anything else I should be aware of?

Thanks for your help,
    Chris

2. freigeistler

freigeistler

Sep 1, 2002
    The 405 is more versatile. Additionally to the triple-coil-humbucker (MM-style) it has a jazz-style neck PU...You already got a jazz, so you definitly don't need the neck pickup... The only thing which might be crucial is the weight: The 305 is damn heavy. The 405's body is quite slim. Both the 305 and 405 sound basically the same (the body mass doesn't really matter) and both are excellent instruments (watch out you stingray snobs ;-)). In the end it's a question of comfort.
    Anyway, you should ckeck out special offers: sometimes you can get the 305 for real cheap.