Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

ATK??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by joel the bass player, Dec 1, 2000.

1. I was wondering about the atk. is it a good slap bass? Does anybody know where to get one? Is it discontinued? Does it sound like a Sting Ray? Anything would help!!!

2. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    The Ibanez ATK300 and ATK500(El koa) "Ibanez ATACK Basses" are great slapping beasts.
    It is discontinued.
    It was a clone of the Stingray with better ideas. It had a Triple coil pickup. (Dummy coil in the middle) Had a 3 position switch Series-Parallel-SingleCoil wich gives this bass a versatility second to none. It has great playability for slapping and aggressive techniques, and the 3 Band EQ sounds very good.
    It even doesnt compare to other Ibanez basses, it was just the greatest Ibanez Bass from the last 5 years.

Dont even think about the ATK100 .. it plainly sucks.
    If it sounds like and Stingray? YES, at least the slap sound is very similar.

Where to get one?
    There is one now at Ebay , so hurry.

3. bassics

bassics

Nov 27, 2000
    Newark, Ohio
    I checked out a couple of the ATK's when they came out, a 4 and a 5. I thought it to have a great variety of tones, a decent slapper, but it weighs as much as a Buick!

4. Thanks a lot for the opinions. I went to ebay and there is a 4 and a 5, but the 4 is more money, but it is probably in better shape. Weight is not a big deal, because I am a pretty big guy, and I like the heavy weight. It is slim pickings here, but I am really going to look for one because it sounds like a good bass.

5. Bobb Nagel

Bobb Nagel

Aug 30, 2000
    Chicago area
    I've been using an ATK305 (5-string) as my primary instrument for a few years now. I never thought much about the weight, it's not an issue and I'm not a big guy. The sound is big and cuts through very well from lowest lows to highs (a musician friend in the audience has commented about this on several occasions). He was referring to lack of dead spots across the spectrum. The ATK has a BIG sound and the active electronics really bring out the best of this instrument. If you can get your hands on one, my opinion is to go for it!

6. takk

takk

Dec 11, 2000
    El Segundo,CA
  7. Why would they quit making such a fine bass in the US but still make it in Japan? Also, I don't have any experience to base this on, but I can't imagine the Japanese being a funky type of people (where a bass like the ATK or stingray style would be popular). :confused:

8. Deano Destructo

Deano Destructo Music Man/Upton addict. Hasn't slept since 1979. Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Does anyone know if Ibanez ever made ATK's with rosewood fingerboards? The only one's I've ever seen have had maple and I just can't dig them as much. Also if someone owns one exactly in what ways are the different from the stingrays(i.e. string spacing, eq. controls etc.)?

9. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    Damn!!
    Japan ATK's are soooo COOL!!
    Anyway.
    There are Rosewood ATK's.
    The ATK100 .. Wich is Crap.
    and the ATK300 FRETLESS.

10. My first bass was an ATK-305 - I still have it and I really like it. For a relatively inexpensive bass it is very good value for money. For the past year or so I had been looking for an ATK-300 to see how it compared to the 5, and recently came across one which I got for ~$230. The most noticable thing about the ATK is the weight (esp. the 305!). They can be strung from the bridge or through the body - both of mine are "through", and I think this contributes to the sustain for which they're famous. I've yet to try mine strung on the bridge. They are well made (both of mine are Korean) and I think for the money, they are great value.

Hope this helps -

- Wil

11. eqvolvorama

eqvolvorama Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2000
    Arlington, Virginia
    I play an Ibanez ATK 305 as my main instrument. I picked it up a few years ago for $300 when I thought I'd never be able to afford a stingray.

I personally don't slap, but like how it cuts through any level of band noise during fingerstyle playing.

I've had one problem with the ATK, being the factory preamp. A capacitor used to continuously short out and cut off my signal. The only way to get it going again was to open the bass cavity and gently "nudge" the capacitor. I'm dead serious, and yes, it happened once during a performance. The world almost knew the sound of ATK against brick that night.

I've since replaced the preamp with 1) a bypass wire and 2) a bartolini preamp I got off ebay, and let me just say that my bass, with heavy ash body, maple neck, and bart preamp is AS BRIGHT AS THE VERY SUN. This is good, I've found, in live situations, but a little brittle recording wise. But that's why I have that G&L in the closet.

In summary, go ATK!

12. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    I mentioned this in another thread concerning Tune basses, but the Japanese keep all the good stuff to themselves :) This isn't just Ibanez; Fender, Yamaha, Aria, Tune, Guitar Maniac, Moon, Atlansia, Atelier Z and others make stuff you won't ever see on Western shores.

As far as the funkiness of the Japanese is concerned, you'd be surprised. Moreso that US audiences, the Japanese are highly appreciative of instrumental fusion music, eg. Casiopea, T-Square, and their bassists and drummers can easily square off with the best of the US and UK studio guys. (Their guitarists, in general, still have a ways to go.)

13. j3b3r

j3b3r

Aug 19, 2000
    You got that rite !!!!
    Yoshihiro Naruse (Casiopea bassist) is the best, and he plays Tune basses.
    Mitsuru Sutoh (T-Square bassist) plays Moon basses.
    Tomohito Aoki (Dimension) playes Atelier Z
    Tetsuo Sakurai (Jimsaku) playes Yamaha

They all play fusion music and use Japanese basses !?!?!?!

14. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    Larry Graham Plays Moon Basses!

15. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Slap is very big in Japan, they call it something else though, and (*^#$it I can't remember the name.

16. j3b3r

j3b3r

Aug 19, 2000
    Is it chop ????

Yoshihiro Naruse's nickname is Narucho.....from Naruse and chop ?!?! and he chops all the time :þ

17. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Chop or Chopper Bass, that's it!

VERY big in Japan.