ATK100 switch:How does it work?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Daryo, Nov 14, 2005.

1. Daryo

Nov 14, 2005
    Hi everybody from Italy,I've just bought a Ibanez ATK100 and don't know how the 2 positions switch works...does anybody know?I'm also worried about the big difference of volume between the two switch positions,the "down" position simply sounds half the volume of the "up" position and this is quite a problem,is it common on the ATK100 or there is something wrong with mine?
  2. Hmm, The triple coil pickup has 2 normal coils and a dummy coil, i thought/think one way on the switch is closer to the bridge+dummy coil the other is the slightly closer to the neck coil+dummy coil

i dont have one, however i really dont see how one should be louder (noticably) than the other :s
  3. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    It's a coil tap, meant to give you a single coil sound by bypassing one of the coils. The dummy coil retains the noise cancellation of the humbucker without adding any signal.*

The difference in volume is because in one setting you're using a humbucker which is, by definition, more powerful than a single coil.

Edit: *(I'm guessing)
  4. Daryo

Nov 14, 2005
    mmm...I was told that the switch could split between serial-parallel,but I'm a bit confused :help:
    I've found in Ibanez website the diagram of electronics of this bass,but I can't read it,is there anyone who could take a look and tell me how the switch works?Please... :crying:
  5. [​IMG]

im not sure, but i dont have enough time to check now, adds a tone cap when swtiched one way eh? interesting
  6. I think . . . by the looks of it, the neck side is always on, and switching to the bridge side adds the bridge coil (making it a double coil)

I could be wrong tho, and my electronical knowledge is crap, so i dont know what the deal with the cap is
  7. Daryo

Nov 14, 2005
    If were so,that would explain the strong volume increase when switched...ok,now how can I change wirings in order to have serial-parallel option?Is that possible?