1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

ATK300 Score!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sixway, Mar 20, 2009.

1. sixway

sixway Supporting Member

Aug 20, 2006
    Kailua, Hawaii
    This bass came up on Craigslist for $200, and even though I'm a lefty, I've been wanting a righty to have for the occasional Jams I host, or for just learning how to play better upside down, when I get invited up and don't have my bass with me.

Came with a decent HSC, soft-case, a couple of straps, and an old Hartke guitar tuner!

P3200096.
    P3200104.

The next photos will show that it's going to take a little TLC on the Chrome, but you'll notice a smudge on the bridge that shows it's only surface crud, and most of the chrome should clean up nicely. More pics when I have the bass cleaned up. As you can see the, finish is good shape. It's a nice looking bass!

P3200105.
    P3200108.
    P3200107.
    P3200109.
    P3200110.
    The tuning pegs have etching from sweat, so they're not going to be like new, but I can't wait to see how it cleans up!

2. dannyssx

dannyssx

Mar 2, 2008
    love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Congrats !!!!!:D

3. sixway

sixway Supporting Member

Aug 20, 2006
    Kailua, Hawaii
    Thanks, Man! I couldn't test it when I bought it because the battery was dead, but with a new one installed it sounds great! At the moment it has an old set of black tape wounds on it, and it has a nice P-bass quality and sound to it.

Yeah, I'm grinning too!:hyper:

4. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    Excellent deal.

5. Please post some "after" pictures when you get it cleaned up. Nice bass!

6. Yeah she needs a quick once-over but its an absolte bargain all the same!

Not helping my ATK GAS however....

7. paganjack

paganjack

Dec 25, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    schweet. i love that color.

8. kjpollo

kjpollo

Mar 17, 2008
    CT
    Nice score dude. The bass alone is well worth what you paid plus you got some "extras".

Well done!

9. sixway

sixway Supporting Member

Aug 20, 2006
    Kailua, Hawaii
    OK Guys, got the bug and worked on the ATK most of the night, and what a difference! It's amazing what some alcohol, and a bit of #0000 steel wool can do....
    P3200110. P3200001.
    Check out the plates and knobs now!
    P3200010.
    Headstock before and after....
    P3200105-1. P3200016. P3200012.

More in the next box....

10. sixway

sixway Supporting Member

Aug 20, 2006
    Kailua, Hawaii
    Check out the Coffin interior!

P3200004. P3200005-1.

All nice and shiny now!

I put the flats on for now. Played it a bit, and think some rounds are definitely in order. Very Happy with the way it turned out! I'll be replacing the screws on the pickguard and Pup plate soon, as the tops were rusted. I hit them with the wool for now.

I've got to go over to the ATK club thread now and get a number! I want to wind up with a Lefty 5-string one day....

Aloha,
    Ian
    :bassist:

11. So you went and devalued it by cleaning it? Don't you know that dirty and banged up basses with rusty hardware sell for more money than new looking ones?;)

Seriously though, great score and I love that color.

12. sixway

sixway Supporting Member

Aug 20, 2006
    Kailua, Hawaii
    Dang! I went from gas to ass in only twelve hours!:eyebrow: Bought it yesterday at 6pm and had it cleaned and put together by 6:30am. Am I sick or what!?:p

I like the color too, and think of it as my favorite color.... Rootbeer!:smug: Gotta stop using these :help: little guys....:rollno:

Aloha,
    Ian

13. sixway

sixway Supporting Member

Aug 20, 2006
    Kailua, Hawaii
    So according to this website - http://www.ibanezrules.com/catalogs/reference/dating.htm - my bass,which says made in Korea, was made in the "Cort" factory, in 1995, in the month of July, and was the 859th made that month. Cool! Love the internet, the Library of the new millenia....

14. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

That is the best GAS inspired reason I have ever heard to buy a bass you don't need!;):D Classic!:D

P.S. Great deal on the bass though. Even if you decided to sell it, you can't help but make a few $$$.

15. sixway

sixway Supporting Member

Aug 20, 2006
    Kailua, Hawaii
    Thanks, any reason to buy a bass! I felt the same way, about making a few bucks in case I decided to move it, especially now that it gleams!

16. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    That's the ATK I want! I have the new 700 and 750 Koa, but I don't like that geeky top-laminate, no-guard baloney. They're in storage appreciating while I look for one of these to actually use.

Nice that it cleaned up. That thing looked like it had been on someone's fishing boat for five years. :eek:

I usually go through some pretty complex cleanup on stuff like that, finishing with Simichrome polish. You'd be surprised at the stuff I've restored to near-new, but getting the abrasive oxides off first is crucial to prevent fine scratching.

17. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    Yeah, cool. BTW, technically that's actually "Cor-Tek," not Cort. Cort is just Cor-Tek's own brand name under which they market the tiny percentage of their output they sell as their own. Cor-Tek makes everybody's gear these days. It's truly amazing.

18. sixway

sixway Supporting Member

Aug 20, 2006
    Kailua, Hawaii
    Thanks for that bit of info, Bongolation. It's always fun to find out the little things about the treasures you pick up...

I was surprised at how easy this bass cleaned up with a little alcohol, steel wool, patience, and elbow grease. I could go whole-hog and buff the finish, and the chrome to get out the fine scratches etc., but not worth it a this level. Afterall, it's got to show off the wear it's accumulated over the years - in a classy way of course!

19. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    Oh no...

You used steel wool on the plating? :eek: No, you couldn't have!

20. Fetzu

Fetzu

Sep 6, 2007
    Tampa, Florida
    Great find! It's cleaning up real nice.