1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

ATK305 Good or Bad

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ODDBALL, Jul 23, 2007.

1. ODDBALL

ODDBALL Supporting Member

Mar 2, 2005
    Salida, CA
    Who here that owns one of these is happy with the tone that you get? What kind of band do you play in? Do you play finger stye or with a pick? How can I get more treble out of this bass? Should I just EQ my amp more any ideas? Thanks For answering my Questions. :) I love this bass

2. To quickly answer your questions:
    Me ;)

I play in church and record at home, mostly rock-style stuff but also everything from blending in with pipe organ music to metal to jazz...

Both, usually fingerstyle, pick for downstrokey punk styles.

Depends what you're doing now! My recommendations are to switch the selector switch towards the bridge (single coil, closest to the bridge) and ramp up the treble control on your bass and/or amp. I have not found treble to be lacking though (I usually have the treble on the preamp just a touch above the center detent, and eq my amp (15"+tweeter) flat and I find I have plenty of treble). If you're using flats, use rounds or brighter flats. If you're using rounds, use brighter rounds! Newer strings are usually more trebly/piano-like than older, so just a new set may be all you need.

See my answer above - there are lots of options, try a few and see what works best.

Enjoy your ATK!
    Steve

3. sleeping buddha

sleeping buddha

Jul 12, 2007
    Endorsed by Welch basses
    I have 2 ATK300's and I love 'em. I play fingerstyle in a stoner rock band and in a jam band and I use them in both. I typicaly run my old amp (I'm putting together a new rig) flat and seasoned to taste from the bass. Honestly, I like the 4 strings better than the 5's myself but thats because I like a 35" scale for a 5 IMHO. Great basses.

4. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I have had an ATK305 for about a month, and I am pleased with it. Mine is not stock (Seymour Duncan preamp) so it may not be the best example. Mine get a nice SR5 sort of tone, but it also has a high end that get so much treble that it reminds me a Sadowsky treble know turned all the way up. Anyone who has played Sadowsky knows that a Sadowsky sounds pretty useless with the treble maxed. Therefore, I don't max the treble!:D

I think that my ATK305 is versatile in much the same way a Stingray or Precision is versatile, it may not get a bunch of tones, but the tones it gets are all very useful in a wide variety of settings.:)

5. MarkMyWordsXx

MarkMyWordsXx

May 17, 2006

thats a very attractive bass you have there.

6. darkside 88

darkside 88

Feb 23, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    I got one of the new models.

It's very easy to coax the treble out of this bass, the EQ is very responsive and the coil tapping is great. Like previously stated, placing the switch to the far right yields a wonderful tone with a glassy high end.

Fiddling with the treble knob helps too. I like boosting my mids to about 3/4's, and giving the bass and treble just a slight boost.

Oh, and I play in what I guess could be called a prog rock band, we infuse a lot funk and metal and jazz and latin elements, as well as blues rock.

I play fingerstyle.

And I don't think fiddling with your amp is needed. I keep mine flat most of the time. The ATK's EQ is powerful enough for me.

One last thing, if you want even more treble, I suggest using Rotosound Swingbass strings, or DR HiBeams.