1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

ATK305 or BB415??!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Discount Saint, Feb 29, 2008.

1. Discount Saint

Discount Saint Bassist for the music in my head Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2007
    Victoria, BC, Canada
    So I am imminently buying a new bass, since my long-time stringed friend, the Fender Jazz Bass Plus 5er has been taken away from me :(

I need something that will be somewhat versatile in tone, but the music I am playing right now will need a strong upper edge growl to it, and be able to interact nicely with various effects (namely, at the moment, my MXR Blowtorch, Ibanez PD-7 and SB-7, and probably an MXR El Grande when the one I've ordered comes in).

I have an ATK305 on order currently, as I played with the 300 and really enjoyed the tones I got out of it, though not necessarily the pickup placement for my thumb to rest on, nor do I love the natural finish. It feels like a much more expensive bass than it actually is though, which is a plus.

On the other side, I was introduced to a Yamaha BB415 last night that felt pretty solid .. I need to plug it in and really hear it go, and I'll probably end up renting in the interim while I wait for the ATK to show up .. but I am interested in some opinions as to which is the more solid instrument overall, and which would likely serve my purposes better.

Sound off!

2. SurrenderMonkey

SurrenderMonkey

Aug 18, 2006
    Liverpool
    Both basses would be my first recommendation for someone looking for a good value and character. Now which one really is difficult. They are worlds apart. The BB is passive, P/J, three way switch, the ATK is active, Stingray style pickup placement and sound, so totally different.

For upper end growl and aggressiveness, the ATK should be the ticket. For a more vintage classic sound, Fender style, the BB will be more suited. The BB415 has a very good B string as well. Dont know about the ATK but never heard any complains either.

In think the more 'solid' of the two would be a close call. The BB would be, imo, more versatile and no hassle (no active stuff, three good sounds, one tone and volume, build like a tank), the ATK has that aggro sound good for slap and agressive music. How they react to effect, I don't know tbh. I think they both have enough clarity to handle effects well.

3. BobWestbrook

BobWestbrook Mr.

Mar 13, 2006
    Philly suburb
    This is not apples and oranges; more like mayonaise and wasabi

BB415 = mayonaise - useful in more situations, versatile, adds flavor
    ATK305 = wasabi - a whole lotta kick, but not suitable for everything

4. Discount Saint

Jan 26, 2007
    Victoria, BC, Canada
    Haha.. that is a really good analogy!

5. I own a '90s ATK 305, and love it. I have played a 415, and also loved that! Both are great choices, as has been said. I have to say that the Indonesian-made reissue ATK's I've played (only 300's, not 305's) feel just a little less solidly constructed than the MIK 90's models I own, but not by too much. The 415's I've played to be honest have felt slightly more solidly constructed than the new ATK's.

Contrary to some opinions on the ATK, I think it is very versatile, if you do a little playing with the character switch and the eq. THe 415 though covers all the PJ bases (basses?).

So in summary, both are great basses. If I needed another low cost decent 5 (my wife would argue that I don't :crying:) the 415 would be top of my list. I don't really think you can go wrong with either. Couldn't you get both?:ninja: Pick whatever sounds and feels best to you.

Steve

6. Discount Saint

Jan 26, 2007
    Victoria, BC, Canada
    Well, I've been playing the BB415 for a few jams now, and I like the general feel of the instrument, and the ease of tones, etc, with the passive controls. The first jam was great when I had just the stock low-gauge round wounds on it.. tons of high-end, which is really what I wanted for this band.. however I re-strung it with my beloved Rotosound 77 series Flats (which are quite bright for flats) and BAM - all attack sucked right out, unfortunately. I love those strings, but I think this is definitely a compelling argument for the Active Electronics and high attack of the ATK. I'd like to be able to use my Rotos without losing all attack and high-end.. for now I'm going to have to go back to the stock BB415 roundwounds, unfortunately, as they do lack a certain low-end fullness which I like.