Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

ATL GIG SPAM!! Oct 3-5, 3 bands/1 bassist: me!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by j-raj, Oct 1, 2003.

1. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    HEY Y'ALL,

This weekend (3rd, 4th, 5th), I have one gig with each of the groups that I'm currently working for... And each of them are quite different from each other:

First on the weekend's menu is..... Coming up Friday October 3rd, From 10pm to 1:30 am, Some of that spicy , southern-fried, "stick-to-yo-ribs", "can't git dat taste outch yer mouth" music, Nawlins style!

[​IMG]

(www.thesquirrelheads.com)

[​IMG]

Front Page News Midtown
    1104 Crescent Ave Atlanta, GA 30309
    (404) 897-3500
    www.newsyoucanswallow.com

Next up on the Ol' menu ...

Saturday October 4th, During the afternoon (from 2:30pm-4pm) at Centennial Park in Beautiful Downtown Atlanta:

[​IMG]

The Michael Levine Band (www.michaellevine.net) Performing For Hands on Atlanta (www.handsonatlanta.org)!!

On Sunday evening October 5th, Performing at Sambuca Jazz Café from 7pm-11pm

[​IMG]

The Subject (http://jairaj.net/subject.html)

For more info:

Sambuca Jazz Café
    3102 PIEDMONT RD NE Atlanta, GA
    Call: 404/237-5299, or look up: www.sambucajazzcafe.com

Hope to see some TB’ers showing some ‘fellow TB Support’

...Or for more info regarding times, dates, directions and such, check out my website: www.jairaj.net

2. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I've got a gig Saturday night at the Five Spot with my blues band, but I'll try to make one of them.

3. j-raj

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    5 Spot.... Saturday? If it is in the evening I think that I can stop by to see you and Blake playing some bluez.

4. J-Raj getting busy!

I really wanted to catch you with Michael Levine (after hearing his amazing solo stuff). I'll be with Zydeco T in the mountains of the GA/AL border at the Dance Vortex.

I don't have anything scheduled yet for the 25th, maybe I can catch ya'll at the Hardrock.

5. j-raj

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    The Dance Vortex sounds like a bunch of fun... I have heard of The Atlanta Swamp Opera, they are a blast... Funny as heck, I've heard.

Is the original guitarist on that gig?

Yeah Man, make it out to the Hardrock.. That is the CD release party for Michael's New album...

Chat soon,

6. The big dance festivals are a gas, usually a couple of headliners who you want to hear and the thrill of playing for 300-500 dancers who are really gettin' down. The energy exchange is incredible. The only problem I have is that traveling and playing really wears me out, I'm not the road warrior I used to be. :(

At any rate, I'll catch up with you sooner or later. I encourage everybody to check out J-Raj with his various groups, he's a solid player who gives the music what it needs (my highest compliment to any musician). Same goes for bassmonkee. Support your local TB'ers!

7. j-raj

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    Joe,

Thank you for that gracious compliment!!! I need to catch your gig.

This weekend wore me out... plus Jami and I had a guest in from Dallas, who after this weekend is about to move to Atlanta... She had way too much fun.

[small weekend recap]

Friday's Silly Nawlins gig antics drove The Squirrelheads (www.thesquirrelheads.com) to drink over 20 (Big 22's) Newcastles, eat cajun food and deliver 3 sets of pure fun and foolery!!!

Saturday in Centennial Park was a blast playing for all of the 'Hands on Atlanta' Volunteers with Michael Levine (www.michaellevine.net)... We also got free t-shirts!!

Sunday at Sambuca Jazz Cafe was truly the best way to end a full gig-weekend... smooth, funky, tastey, groov'n, Glen Livet... Blackened Catfish! PLUS, the house dug the band so much, they are gonna book a few more Sambuca Jazz gigs for us!

thanx again Joe!

OH BTW, I found a new way that works out for stacking the AG...

[​IMG]

8. Thanks for the gig reports. Man, it was a beautiful weekend, your gig with Michael was outside? We played Saturday in a huge, open sided hall (gym) up in the mountains and it was glorious.

Great news about Sambuca, definitely a premium gig and worth it just for the food! Congrats!

9. j-raj

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    Joe,

That sounds like a great gig!!!

Yeah MLB was outside in Centennial Park... the weather was amazing.

I saw that you are playing with Ficcones (from your sig-line), I was at a x-mas function last year for StudioCom.com and this great group was playing: Sernata Latina (sp.?). And on keys was Dan Furman!!! I think that cat is really talented. I really want to see your gig on the 17th, but I'm going to Pat Methany with Christian McBride that night!!! Man, if I'm not playing one, I'm going to one!!!!

Hey you into King Johnson (the band)? they are playing at N'side Tavern this Saturday.

10. Yeah, Dan's a real monster and was usually first call for latin piano when he was here. I've never heard anyone who can maintain a great montuno through weird altered changes like he can. He's been in NYC for the past 9 months, and will be flying in for the show.

The fact of the matter is all those guys are monsters, I sometimes wonder what I'm doing with them. BTW, your guitarist Adam probably knows one of the bone players, Wes Funderburk. Wes is working on his masters and teaching at GA State.

Arrrrgh, I wanna go to see the Metheny trio too!!! Hey, those shows at the Rialto start and end early (usually 10:30 at the latest). Little 5 Points is 10 minutes at the most from downtown, just run straight down Dekalb or Edgewood Avenue. We are doing 2 sets and the second one won't hit until 11:30 or so. I may even set up early and go listen until 10 (although that would be cutting it close :D ).

Man, King Johnson at the Northside is a great show! I love their take on the N.O. thing (and they are nice guys to boot). Unfortunately, I'll be down the road in Columbus, GA playing an outdoor festival with Kate and the Retreads.