Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Atlanta Bass Gallery

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by OldCityBass, Jan 7, 2006.

1. Anyone buy a bass there? They have something I'm interested in and I'm curious to read your experiences.

2. I have been there twice,
    was pleased with what i saw.
    im gonna buy a bass from there in the next 6 or 7 months

3. Nadav

Nadav

Nov 13, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    I bought my SVT-3 Pro there (used) and a bunch of other accessories. It's a great store.

4. newdull

newdull Supporting Member

Feb 27, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    I got my Aguilar cab there and have visited a few other times. Jim Rubio who own and runs the place is great guy and will treat you right. He gets some great basses through there.

5. I don't live that far away from there, but I haven't had the chance to go there yet. Do they do good setups there?

6. The Eristic

The Eristic Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2005
    Cartersville, GA
    They had a BN6 that I really wanted, but couldn't scratch up the $$$ for it in time. It was the best playing bass I've ever encountered. :^|

7. lbpark

lbpark Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2005
    Mobile, Al.
    I visited Jims shop a couple weekends ago. Jim helped me set up a specific amp and cab, told me I could play any bass I wanted, and answered all my questions with a smile. All the basses I played were set up great.

Top notch place.

8. jordanm

jordanm

Feb 24, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    I live about 15 min from there and while I havent bought anything from Jim I wasn't very impressed with the way I was treated. They do have some great stuff in there, and it is probably one of the best places to go check out gear. When I asked him for prices on stuff he was pretty much giving me retail or close to it on anything over 3k, then I later emailed him asking about the same basses and got different (lower, but not low enough) prices. Just seems a little wishy washy on a few things. I wouldn't hesitate to buy from him if he has something I wanted and was giving me a fair deal. But if your looking to buy, make sure you know what your doing before you walk in the door, which is good advice for buying anything really. Like I said though, I have never actually done any buisness with the guy!

9. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I got my Sadowsky Metro 4 from there. That is one of THE best stores to buy a bass! I can honestly say that Jim will treat you better than ANYONE else!

10. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    I bought my used (NYC) Sadowsky from Jim by phone. He was thorough and pleasurable to deal with. I'd love to check out the shop sometime.

11. loendmaestro

loendmaestro

Jan 15, 2004
    Vienna VA
    All of these Atlanta guys...who knew?! We should all meet for beers....

Anyway, I've never personally bought anything there but Jim seems to be a nice guy. I turned a guy at the Dudepit on to him as he was looking for a white 4003 with black trim. As far as I can tell the transaction was pretty smooth.

I will say that the prices are definitely on the top end of the scale though.

12. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    jim's a great guy and a great player. i wouldn't hesitate to buy from him at all.

13. Andy Brown

Andy Brown Supporting Member

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Founder: Wing Bass
    +1 - I just bought a bass from Jim... a pleasure to deal with.

14. jordanm

jordanm

Feb 24, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    *cough* Atl GTG!!!

15. Juniorkimbrough

Juniorkimbrough

Mar 22, 2005
    Mississippi / Memphis, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
    Just checked out the website and man do they have some nice basses! IMO I would happily pay a little more for a bass from someone with good customer service rather than save a few bucks and get crappy service.

These days a stores customer service is what really makes them stand out to me.

16. +1! Mos' def, I've always wanted to see some of JT's conks in person...
    What are their used prices like, btw?

17. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com
    Jim and I have always had a great relationship. Jim's a good guy and has a hell of a shop!

18. +1 on that! It's like Candyland in there, and Jim is real friendly and knowledgeable.

19. Skeezix

Skeezix

Sep 28, 2005
    Jacksonville, FL
    Looks like it could be worth a trip up there.

20. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    heh. the talkbass get togethers originated in atlanta. at my house. :). :hyper: :)