Atlanta-Best Guitar stores

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Pbman, Jun 11, 2021.

1. Pbman

Pbman

Jul 23, 2001
    Boston Area
    While in Atlanta , now that The Bass Galley has closed, where would the best stores be to visit.

2. The Owl

The Owl

Aug 14, 2005
    GA
    One Way likes this.
  3. Pbman

Pbman

Jul 23, 2001
    Boston Area
    The Owl likes this.
  4. Spencer Kirkpatrick works at Atlanta Vintage Guitars

The Owl likes this.
  5. Almost bought Rubio’s all original 361 before he closed ABGallery
    Over the years he was reluctant to sell

We agreed on $; came in to buy it but had never tried it!
    It was the most amazingly Loud bass amp I had ever heard! Got feedback on 2.0!!!

as I adjusted knobs; tuning fork and fuzz, I grew more uncomfortable;
    Near uncontrollable volume, almost absent tonal funk except for BASS knob
    Fuzz sounded artificial VS that “DOORS”
    fuzz I expected. Tuning fork was fully functional.

However for the price agreed upon and I felt it needed even more $$$ to return it to full function; I turned it down and purchased my tiny Berg forte & 1-12 rig.

I still recall a dear friends’. 361 that could also hold its own against 2 cranked guit-stacks and it had broad tonal palette as well: Mo-Town to British Prog tones … So I will always regret
    The one that got away …

I have no need of more rigs; just Want

I need more space to house my bass rig bucket list anyhow…

6. Bassclef46

Bassclef46 Inactive

Feb 1, 2021
    Ken Stanton is a place I have worked with online shopping. Nice people. I was able to find lower prices so I didn’t buy from them, but they left me feeling confident in them when if I was to buy from them online.

The Owl likes this.
  7. WoodyJ

WoodyJ Supporting Member

Jul 29, 2008
    Kansas City
    Atlanta Discount Guitars in Chamblee usually has a good bass and bass amp inventory and they are also an authorized Rickenbacker, Nash and Mesa dealer among others. I lived in ATL for 42 years before moving to KC and ADM was/is my favorite music store. Jimmy and Micah are the best in the business and they do ship. Even their used gear is top drawer for the most part unlike another Atlanta area store that I won't mention.

Ken Stanton in Marietta is also a great store. They are a Fender/Gibson/Gretsch/Ibanez/Ampeg and Taylor dealer. I was there this past April and came home with a new Fender Telecaster guitar with a 10% discount. They have the best selection of of Fender and Gibson guitars in the area along with a some nice basses. Their staff is also very knowledgeable and very friendly.

Righteous Guitars is all about "high end" custom shop stuff and the two times I was in there it was just guitars, no basses. I asked about that and their response was "Because we don't want to". It was a pretty snobby place, IMO.

One Way likes this.
  8. TomB

TomB Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2007
    Vermont
    Is Clark Guitar long gone?

9. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    My sister lived in Kennesaw for many years, and I went to Ken Stanton in Marietta quite a bit. I bought a Trace Elliott combo from them.

10. WoodyJ

WoodyJ Supporting Member

Jul 29, 2008
    Kansas City
    If Clark Music was the shop on Ponce de Leon Avenue in Atlanta, yes, it has been gone for several years.

Soon after the Guitar Center and later Mars Music Corporate Owned stores came to town, that became the death knell for many of the "mom & pop" privately owned music stores in Atlanta and probably many other cities.

One of the causes was that when GC entered the picture, Fender, Gibson and Martin began requiring that the smaller, non-chain music stores were then required to keep a larger inventory of their instruments than was the case prior to the arrival of the big box chain stores. I worked part-time at one of the smaller but very popular with working musicians' music stores that had been in business in the Atlanta since 1972. They were forced to close because their Fender, Gibson and Martin franchises were taken away soon after being unable to comply with what the store owner felt were unreasonable inventory requirements.

The Owl likes this.
  11. TomB

TomB Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2007
    Vermont
    That was the one. They helped me out on the road, even bringing an amp to the gig. Yep, that kind of service is a memory.

The Owl likes this.
  12. The Owl likes this.
  13. I agree with the above and want to add:
    ATLANTA DISCOUNT GUITARS - always an excellent selection of quality new and used gear. I bought my Mesa Subway amp head, both Subway cabinets, and both G&L’s from their in stock inventory.

KEN STANTON ALPHARETTA is also a great location to do business, knowledgeable and friendly staff.

RIGHTEOUS GUITARS - is a high end guitar store. They have a Plek Machine and I had them Plek my Les Paul guitar. Their work changed it from one of my least favorite players to a guitar I now really like playing. Based on my great experience with the Les Paul I took my Sire V7 and G&L M-2500 Tribute to them for Plek service. Neither bass needed this work, I simply wanted them to be the best they could be. Aside from Plek service, I don’t believe Righteous Guitars offers products for bass players.

WoodyJ likes this.
  14. Corigan

Corigan Shaking Rumps with Thumps Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2021
    Georgia
    You are correct on righteous. not even a bass string in the place. I did take a p bass there for some factory warranty work and their bench is excellent.

One Way likes this.