atlanta get together cast and crew

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by john turner, Sep 18, 2006.

1. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    this weekend's atlanta get together had an excellent turnout, with over a dozen folks showing, and over 50 basses present. here's some pics (thanks to nadav for hosting em). we set em all up on my deck out back of the house.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    :)

2. How did those LeCompte basses play? I'm so envious you got a chance to play all those instruments!

3. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    HI

Cool photos.

Rob

4. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    bud's basses were -awesome-. i was very impressed. i really liked that black w/pinstripes one - the whole hotrod element was really nice without being overdone. the fanned fret one played really well too (not usually a fan of those). he had smaller frets on it and it made it a bit easier to play imo.

5. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

Why are all the Fenders in the back?:spit:

Is that Nadav's DB?

6. How'd the single-cut hollowbody with the Darkstars sound? My GAS pains are unimaginable whenever I see that thing.

7. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    why, sir, that's where they belong. :smug: (that's my 77 fender jazz in the back on the last pic, the black one :D). out of all those basses, only 4 fenders. i found that interesting.

yeah, that thing sounded -huge-. great instrument, really re-ignited my dbgas.

8. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    John, there was a comment in the other thread about the interesting headstock of Hambone's Jazz. Is there a picture which clearly displays it? It got my curiosity up.

9. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    there's a bunch of pics that have yet to surface. i think there are some pics that are closer to the individual basses.

the thing about these gtgs, everyone is so busy doing stuff, that there aren't that many folks taking pics, until the end heh. then afterwards, it's like "oh damn, shoulda taken more pics". heh.

10. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i don't remember that one, i think dave siff played it, so you might want to ask him. the one thing i do remember about it is that the black pickguard on it is an ebony inlay, very nicely done.

11. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Yeah, I remember how that frenzy goes. I think at the one at Muggsy's house a few years back I ended up taking something like 3 pictures. At Mark's Bass Summit down here, it was pretty much the same way. Although I do remember having tons of pics of that Marchlewski "Q-Bert-ish" 6er. Hmm...wonder what I did with those.

12. Joe BassPlayer

Joe BassPlayer Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    Man!
    How did I miss this?:(
    I was just up visiting Atlanta Bass Gallery 2 weeks ago.
    I would have really dug meeting all the TB'ers in the Hot "Lanta area!

I've got to pay closer attention...............

13. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Cane Ridge, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com
  14. CIMG1272.jpg

What's the story with this? :bag:

15. It's to serve as a warning to others :ninja:

Not really - I just picked that up from ebay. It's a 1979 Ibanez Musician basket case. I already own another 1979 that's complete and was at the GTG. This one, however, is totally different in body configuration so I brought it as a conversation starter. I'm going to make it a project and see what it turns out like.

16. barthanatos

barthanatos Insert witty comment here

Feb 8, 2006
    South Carolina
    Well, here's a hacked-together group shot I made from your three:

[​IMG]

17. I'm suprised I don't see any stingray's

18. albass111

albass111

Feb 13, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    Is the blue one a Read Model J? if not, what is it?

Also, what was the embibing situation?

19. Dave Siff

Dave Siff Supporting Member

That's a Low End Jazz, courtesy of Brian Barrett. An absolutely killer bass, right up there with the best J-style basses I've ever played.

20. Dave Siff

Dave Siff Supporting Member

I actually didn't spend much time with that bass, although I heard someone else playing it and it sounded great. My favorite LeCompte of the day was the other 4-string, the one with the lipstick-tube pickups. I haven't had that much fun playing a bass in a long time, maybe ever.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 1, 2021