Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

ATLANTA GIG SPAM--FRIDAY NIGHT!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by bassmonkeee, Aug 15, 2003.

1. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Hey, Atlanta,

Yeah, I know it's short notice, but whatareyougonnado?

My jazz group, Jabla Trio, is playing at The Five Spot in Little 5 Points from 10-1 tonight.

It's FREE!

The place is new--in fact, it's so new they don't have their liquor license yet. So, this means you get to BYOB!

So, if you are looking for a cheap evening of interesting (well, we think so) music, come on down to L5P--just make sure you stop by the liquor store on your way if you want to drinky drinky!

Here's one of our tunes to check out:
    http://www.mindspring.com/~jshew2/TheSunWarmsIt.mp3

Hope to see you there!

The Five Spot is located on Euclid Ave next to Outback Outfitters. Here's a map:

http://www.l5p.com/areamap.html

It's number 86 on the map.

2. Arrrgh, got a wedding gig tonight.:(

Good luck and keep posting the gig spam!

3. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    finally, i think i can make this one :) cool

4. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA

Never feel bad about having a gig--it's bad luck. :bassist:

5. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I'll believe it when I see it, Pal. :p

Seriously, though, if you do make it out, bring one of them there Lourde Homely cds with ya, and I'll make it worth your while! ;) :D

6. lneal

lneal

Apr 12, 2002
    Lee County, Alabama
    So, how'd it go?

7. Really good performance by bassmonkeee and the band. They sounded cool.. tight, yet loose and funky at the same time. The grooves breathed really nicely. They did some interesting arrangements of well-known jazz tunes. Bassmonkeee was workin' it with great tone on his '76 fretless Precision. Jake on guitar and Blake on drums were both stellar. And, the venue is definitely a cool spot, lack of liquor license notwithstanding.

8. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Thanks, Dave. Personally, I thought my playing was a bit sub par, but, then, I usually think that. The club owner apparently liked it enough that Jabla is playing there again on September 13th, AND my blues band is playing there on August 29th. So, apparently, they liked it. :D

Oh, and The Five Spot will have its liquor license on Tuesday. :bassist:

Thanks to Dave, JT, and Barbara for coming out.

Sorry I didn't get a chance to say Hi. :meh:

9. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    ...so Turner did show up!

;)

Someone needs to move Orlando & Atlanta closer together so I can drive up to catch all these cool gigs, and y'all can drive down for all the cool basses!

:D

10. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc

jason...you're a nut :D

11. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    oh, no sweat - we both enjoyed it greatly. i literally had to drag barbara out of bed to come to the show - she was already settled in for the night when i remembered. still, though, she really enjoyed it and so did i.

you need to face the audience more, though. :)

12. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    This is a fundamental truth on so many levels...

:D

...and you're right on the one you're referring to most strongly - Jason is a frighteningly good player on a bad night. I don't wanna think of him on a good one! :eek:

13. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA

Aw, shucks, guys. I appreciate the nice feedback.

Of course, when I completely forget the third section of one of my favorite originals, I'd say that was "bad." :D

Our version of "All Blues" was pretty kickin', though.

Apparently, the club makes a habit of recording every band to MD, so I should have a copy of the gig, at some point. I think we had about a 5:3 ratio of good to bad.

I really enjoyed playing my new 76 fretless PBass. After playing my space age Rockwood necked Curbows, there is something cool about playing a Fender PBass with a one piece neck. :bassist:

14. How come there are never any of you guys gigging in Providence. It's a good city. There's.......stuff.

JT Play with Lord Only in Providence:D