Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Atlanta Guys Chime In! (Dealers Too!)

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by SoyBase, Dec 18, 2002.

1. Hell Yes!

10 vote(s)
    62.5%
  2. What are you thinking? Hell NO! Leave it to the pros.

1 vote(s)
    6.3%
  3. Why not? I'd stop in and check it out.

5 vote(s)
    31.3%
  1. SoyBase

SoyBase

Jul 1, 2001
    Atlanta, Ga
    Okay, first off, I want to say thanks to everyone here for their advice, input, criticism, etc.

I went to Guitar Center the other day to pick up some George L's Cables and connectors...No big deal. Well, I was there for 35 minutes waiting at the accessory counter for them to get them for me. One guy waited just as long for a set of strings. The moron behind the counter tried to sell him a set of Elixirs for bass..The guy clearly stated that he wanted something that would last and keep their brightness and be cheap..Well, most know that these dont last that long and arent by any means cheap..Well homeboy behind the counter kept trying to push the Elixirs. Anyway, I finally ended up getting my cables and ends and leaving vouching that I'd never go back.

Point of my story:

This made me realize that Atlanta needs a Bass Guitar only store. Some place that deals with mid to high end gear as well as offers the CUSTOMER SERVICE we've come to expect. A prime example are the guys down at Bass Central in Orlando. You can't beat their customer service and all around great deals and excellent product.

Now I've been pondering starting my own business here for years now and my family and friends think I should stick with what I love. One of them being cars, the other being music. Well, I love music more. Who in the Atlanta area would be interested or would shop at a store that dealt especially with Bass and Bass accessories? We're talking about a place that will have a set of DR Sunbeams or Thomastik Infields in the right guages when you need them. Or if you want to try an Aguilar amp before you buy one out, without having someone like Ken Stanton order it at an inflated cost. Im just rattling some examples off because we dont have any of the good high end stuff at the local GC.

Also, I know this is almost impossible, but I would want this place to not compete with the other Bass stores, mainly because A.) There arent that many in the country and B.) I would want it to be more of a partnership/ you scratch my back I'll scratch yours scenario. I know this is almost impossible, but I think it could possibly be done if communications between people were kept REAL.

Id also love to be a part of the mail order/Internet sales thing. Not a shopping cart type store, but do a lot of promotions online by banner ad's etc. Once again, with customer service in mind, make it a call or email to order so we know that what you're getting is right for YOU.

A few things I would like to carry or be able to carry.
    1. Ernie Ball
    2. Warwick
    3. Ampeg
    4. SWR
    5. Aguilar
    6. Demeter
    7. Eden (If they stay in business)
    8. Mesa Boogie
    9. Roscoe
    10. Custom Guitars (Eshenbaugh, Fodera, Stambaugh, etc.
    11. DR, TI, SIT and other common bass strings.
    12. We know Fender won't sell to you if you are in the same demo as another Fender dealer, or have the same revenue, etc. So I'd deal with those on a used basis.
    13. G&L if they will sell to small dealers..
    14. Spector
    15. QSC, Stewart, Crown amps.
    16. Custom made speaker cables and name brand cables that we need. Not some 50 foot speakon to speakon because thats all that GC has in 12 guage..

Well, this is just a small list but I think you'd get the idea.

So what do you guys/gals think about this? I'd love to hear other businesses and dealers chime in to see what they have to say. Afterall, this is THE place to find out if it would be a bust or not..Or if you want to tell me I'm a moron for suggestion such an idea, I'd like to hear that too, why not!

Thanks!
    Tommy

2. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    We bassists in Atlanta have been begging for a bass only store for the longest time. It would be cool, but you really have to sit and think about the financial side of things.

3. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i'd support it, if there was anything i needed that you carried, i'd try there first.

i don't think you need to worry about the competition thing with the other bass only stores - from what i've seen there's a pretty good culture of cooperation between most of the stores.

4. SoyBase

SoyBase

Jul 1, 2001
    Atlanta, Ga
    Well, yes, finances would be main concern. Getting support from distributors and dealers would be a huge concern as well.

I would in most part like to have a mutual relationship with other dealers. Say, we have something they dont, or they have something we dont, we'd be more than happy to send them the other persons way, etc..

Thanks for the input..you sell the J-5 yet Woodchuck?

5. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Still got it. Wrote a song with her last night.

6. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I a subscribing to this thread for ideas and input on this. I have had a dream for several years to open a bass only store in Dallas/Fort Worth. If I ever get the capital together, I will.

7. SoyBase

SoyBase

Jul 1, 2001
    Atlanta, Ga
    Hi Embellisher!
    Its good to see that I'm not the only one with the dream to do this..

Im sure capital could be acquired by a small business loan and investors, its just so damn risky..

8. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Call Beaver and ask how he went about it.

9. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    ...hmm...

JT and I had this very discussion on the sidewalk in front of BC just a few weeks ago!

:D

If my situation ever changed drastically (something that MAY happen, but not happily :(...besides, the band is doing well, won't leave that anytime soon I don't think), I would be seriously considering trying to convince Beaver to open "Bass Central - Atlanta", with myself as manager! :D

10. dkmonroe

dkmonroe

Jul 3, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    If you opened an all-bass store, I would beat a path to its door.

ANYTHING to keep from giving any money to those clowns at Guitar Center. :D

11. I would make a bass only store my first stop or call before I hit all the other stores. However, metro Atlanta being so spread out I would have to be getting a deal worth more than my time and gas to drive 45-60 min. to buy anything. Seem's like most of the music stores want to locate on the north side of the city. Not that many stores south of I-20. I used to think Florida had all the bassist in the country but it looks like Atlanta has more than it's share of Lowlife.

12. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    There is a reality that needs to be considered in this area (GA and AL). Yeah, there seem to be lots of bassists in the Atlanta area, but the market is still heavily Peavey-Fender-Ibanez driven. Those franchises are hard to come by...you have to be able to move a certain volume of stuff, and the big established stores already have those. Unless you can buy in the quantity that Guitar Center does, you won't get the same wholesale prices and won't be able to compete with their out-the-door deals.

If you plan to go boutique, high-end just be prepared to be in the "red" for a couple of years.

13. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    good point. also be prepared and willing to do a lot of sales over the web - i bet that that's one of the things that helps shops like bass central and bass northwest to stay solvent.

14. pmkelly

pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    I would love to open a shop like that in KC. Lots of pros to having a shop like that in the midwest, but putting the capital together is a BEEEYATCH! I would imagine that the best way to start is with a small inventory that you could start "in the garage," not having to have an actual store... use the web, get a 1-800 number... and start out from there... build it up, and expand to an actual storefront later on...

Just the idea that I have been playing with....

P@

15. Let me know what time your spaceship blasts off...

16. tim4003

tim4003

Apr 30, 2002
    Dawsonville , GA
    There's no doubt I'd be checking your place out!
    I can't stand GC.

17. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    I'd say you'd be much better off making it a predominately 'net-driven business, but with a storefront of some kind where all us local-types can drop in and check out the inventory in person. This could be done for much less money because you wouldnt' be so dependent on location (good location = high overhead). The big issue, after inventory, would be developing a buzz (we can help with that!) and a STERLING rep.

I can't imagine how a smaller gear dealer survives nowadays without a signifigant internet presence

18. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Tara Music in Jonesboro tried to go high-end bass some time ago.... I'm not sure how well it worked out, but it seemed that thier marketing plan wasn't all it could've been. I agree that more attention should be payed to 'net traffic, with a storefront in the ATL.

(Former Atlanta guy - god I miss you guys!)

19. SoyBase

SoyBase

Jul 1, 2001
    Atlanta, Ga
    Well, first thing would be first...I'd go to NAMM in Nashville in the summer and do some networking with the manufacturers, etc..plus see what other folks would be interested in..

It would be a lot of work, but who knows, maybe the guys at Bass Central will do something up here and we'd all be banging down their door...wait, we do that anyway..

Tommy

20. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    :D

We love you guys!!!!!