Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Atlanta luthier; Bridge height, String thickness

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by Double Daddy, Aug 19, 2003.

1. Please let me know of descent double bass luthiers in the Atlanta area, preferrably on the south side (I live in Peachtree City). I want to have 'em look over, and adjust as necessary, my 8 year old Dvorak plywood, but have it back in time to play weekend gigs.

Also, I've been playing for years with an adjustable bridge from which I removed the wheels and placed 1/8" wooden shims (having read an interenet article about metal height adjusters possibly detracting from the sound). Since I've been playing for some years now, I am sure that my hands have the strength to handle higher tension. What would I gain with higher bridge and/or thicker strings (I now use Spirocore weichs, mostly pizz but some arco in jazz stuff).

2. Chandra

Chandra

Jul 1, 2003
    Athens, GA
    Hi,

I recently bought a bass from Ronald Sachs (http://www.ronaldsachs.com/) in Lilburn and was impressed by his attention to detail. A couple other luthiers who I have heard good things about from a violinist (but don't have personal experience with) are Huthmaker Bowed String Instruments in Duluth and Williams Gengakki Violins in Buckhead. They both have websites as well - I just don't have the URLS - they are both closer to you, too!

3. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    I got great service from Tom Thoreson at Southeastern Strings. His contact info can be found on Bob Gollihur's Luthier Directory...he's a little more on the north side of town, but for me it was worth the drive from Columbus.

4. Thanks for the responses. I'll check 'em out.