Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Atlanta luthier recommendations?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Joe_Atlanta, Sep 13, 2001.

1. Hi folks,

I do my own setup and a little soldering repair (emergency road stuff) so I don't often need the services of a tech. I had a guy I used to go to, but stopped after an unpleasant incident (long story).

I've run up on a neck problem beyond my capability and would appreciate any recommendations for a luthier or tech that does high quality repair work on bass guitars.

thanks,
    Joe

2. Greg Curbow is in Atlanta, as is JD Lewis of Warrior Guitars. Both produce exemplary high-end instruments.

3. I guess my original message wasn't clear enough. I had (incorrectly?) used the term luthier to emphasize that I was looking for high quality repairman. I have edited it to read repair work.

Though I don't know about Lewis, I'm pretty certain Curbow is too busy with his own business to repair basses that are not his own.

4. JD Lewis is pretty busy, as well--Warrior churns 'em out, evidently.

I can't help you too much more, then. Sorry.

5. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Actually, Curbow will be very happy to take care of any repair work. I have him work on all of my basses, and I am very happy with his work. He isn't actually in Atlanta, though. He lives and works in Morganton in the North GA mountains. I go about once a month, or so to his shop. It takes about an hour and a half to two hours to get there from Little 5 Points. Nice drive, though.

Give him a call at 706-374-2873, and tell him what you need done. You probably won't find anyone better.

6. Wow, that's great news, thanks for the correction bassmonkee. Now that I think about it, I had got that info several years back. So it was way out of date, if not just straight bs.

That's a lot of driving, but you obviously think it's worth the trip (it is beautiful country up there). How does his prices compare to work you've had done by others?

7. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    He ain't cheap. I think his fee is $45/hour, but the best thing to do is call him and tell him what you need done. I've worked with him for the last 12 years, or so, and he's done everything from converting a fretted bass to a fretless, shaved my Jazz bass neck, installed pickups, to basic setup, and I have always been extremely happy with his work. He recently gave my Int'l Petite 5 string a complete overhaul and I was very pleased with the results.

8. I've used John Marshall at the Fret Shop in Stone Mountain for repair and setup work. He's reasonably priced and seems to do fairly decent work. I've seen his fretjobs and they a quite nice. He did a fretless setup for me a while back and I've been very pleased.

I don't have his number handy but his shop is on Hwy 78 between Stone Mt. and Lilburn right next to Murphy's Law Pub.

9. There's supposed to be a really good guy at the Mars in Duluth on Pleasant Hill, but I haven't personally used him. I have had a couple of people mention him to me. I think he actually leases space form Mars, and isn't an employee.

Lisa

10. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    His last name is "Joy" or something like that, isn't it?

11. I can't remember. A couple of people mentioned him to me, but it was a few months ago.

Lisa

12. mchildree

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    Methinks it's Tim Joy. Dunno about his work, though.

13. Dude, you're in Columbus, about 45 minutes from me. What about McCormick in Columbus?

Chris

14. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    JD lewis is actually in rossville, which is very close to the tennessee border.

15. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Sometimes Greg plays in a blues band that's based in Marietta. They play on Wednesdays. If he's still doing it, you may be able catch him then. It'll save you a drive. I've been to his shop a couple of times, and it's a good haul.

16. mchildree

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    Mac McCormick is pretty well-regarded. He's a factory authorized repair guy for Gibson, Martin, and a bunch of others. I know lots of guys around here that won't go to anybody else...I've had him do some work for me too. He's CHEAP!

He's also pretty much the only luthier in town. A little bit eccentric..looks like a homeless person, and his shop is a big dusty jumble of half-built mongrel instruments and stained glass art (his wife does that). Kinda cool! :D

C'mon down...I'll run you over there. I doubt you'd find it otherwise.

17. C'mon, dude, you're talking to a Yankee here... :oops:

Anyhow, doesn't the Atlanta metro area take up something a third of the state of GA?

18. You're right. I went looking for him, couldn't find the place, and ended up at that music store that used to be a BarBQ joint I think, down the road from what used to be Fenton's hobby shop(?), real near Mac's address. The BarBQ guy talked me into letting him do the setup on my $100 Harmony guitar for $20 (which made more sense than Mac's full professional setup for I think $75), but I think he waited until I called and was driving down to pick it up, then hurredly banged on the high frets with a hammer, and it still buzzed like a bitch, he basically did me no good. I went home and set it up myself. :D He does have a ton of nice guitars in the old White and Red BarBQ place, though. I think he's even a Fender dealer.

I'm in West Point, by the way. If you ever need tube amp work, that's my bag. And if you ever get over to Auburn, go to the Guitar Shoppe - Mark's cool as hell, and he's a bass player.

Chris

19. Hi folks, thanks for all the tips. :D

I called around to other bassists I know and got another vote for the Mars at Pleasant Hill. I called the store and they said Mike Marshall was head repair man.

I also got two strong recommendations that I try "the guys who used to be at Midtown Music", aka The Instrument Repair Shop. They are now upstairs from Rehearse Too Much, 404-815-1669.

20. Hugh Jazz

Hugh Jazz

Sep 13, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    I'm in Atlanta too!