Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Atlanta Retailer - 0000 Steel Wool

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by atldeadhead, Oct 28, 2005.

1. atldeadhead

atldeadhead

Jun 17, 2002
    Georgia
    I need some 0000 steel wool so's I can clean my corroded frets.

Where might I find this for sale in the Atlanta area?

Thanks ya'll.

2. Greg Clinkingbeard

Greg Clinkingbeard

Apr 4, 2005
    Kansas City area
    Setup and repair/KRUTZ Strings
    Any hardware or paint store. Wal Mart should have it.

3. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Hardware stores, hobby shops even, and if you're near a large grocery chain, they may have it too.

4. atldeadhead

atldeadhead

Jun 17, 2002
    Georgia
    Thanks fellas.

Good ole Home Depot had just what I needed. That steel wool worked magic on my frets. They once again look shiney and new :)

5. Dont laugh but you can use a bit of toothpaste or a pencil eraser to clean your frets.

6. For the inevitable naysayer that will chime in with how the steel wool will stick to the poles of your pickups, I would offer this suggestion - tape! You can pull metal particles off of the strongest magnet with tape and get it very, very clean. I don't worry about the stray strand of steel wool anymore.

7. atldeadhead

atldeadhead

Jun 17, 2002
    Georgia
    This was some heavy corrosion.

I tried the eraser trick....no dice. It had no effect what-so-ever on the corrosion. I don't see how adding toothpaste to the mix would've helped either and frankly I would probably have just made a bigger mess even if it would have worked. I suspect that if the eraser/toothpaste trick does work it would also require some heavy duty elbow grease. With the steel wool I didn't have to work very hard and the results where fantastic. Besides, like my dad always says, "The right tool for the right job". In my case, steel wool was the right tool.

As for prep work, I taped up my entire fret board between all the frets and covered my pu's with the tape as well (painters tape btw).

8. shameandspite

shameandspite

Oct 12, 2005
    toothpaste does work as a polish.

(Warning, more information than you needed to know)

Toothpaste is made of microorganisms that are made to protect themselves in spores and then killed, leaving a slurry of abrasive "corpse shells" behind. The abrasive feature is actually what cleans teeth, grinding away impurities. The same works for metal. I used it on my naval insignia when I was in school, worked better than brasso, and lasted longer too.

I found the cheapbrand works best, less frills. And your fingerboard would smell minty, just in case of the errant fan getting tossed on stage.