1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Atlanta Symphony Bassist Sets World Record

Discussion in 'News & PR' started by TalkBass, Mar 19, 2016.

1. TalkBass

TalkBass News Poster

Mar 12, 2004
    sgtstew, djaxup, Matt R and 36 others like this.
  2. Cool. I had started a thread a while back about the oldest bands in existence. It started with the Stones and the Ventures, and eventually we were talking about bands or choirs which have lasted for centuries, well beyond the lifespan of any founding members. Some people said a band stops being a band after the last founding member is gone. I guess this one is still "the real band" lol.

Awesome.

Atlanta Dave and smperry like this.
  3. Snaxster

Snaxster

Nov 29, 2008
    zon6c-f likes this.
  4. mindwell

mindwell

Aug 17, 2006
    Wichita, KS
    BAMF

tmw likes this.
  5. Little ol' lady is truly inspirational!

Continuing to play in spite of health issues, remarkable.
    At 4'11", proof positive that smaller people don't need to play smaller instruments, only instruments that please them.

zon6c-f and PortlandBass77 like this.
  6. packhowitzer

packhowitzer 155mm of pure destruction

Apr 20, 2011
    Atlanta
    I've seen her play in the ASO all my life. I love watching that old bat do her thing. we should all be so lucky to do what we love for so long.

mindwell likes this.
  7. tmw

tmw Gold Supporting Member

Oct 17, 2006
    Delmar, NY
    A very heartwarming story.

zon6c-f likes this.
  8. franvarin

franvarin

May 30, 2013
    Rhode Island
    Simply awesome! is the only phrase that comes close. What an incredible career and so inspirational!

zon6c-f likes this.
  9. deste

deste

Sep 14, 2009
    Bologna, Italy, Europe
    Endorsing Artist: GullanskyLab pickups
    That's one of those stories you like you hear over and over, and give us the strenght and pride to be something (being musicians, i.e.) despite of all troubles.

zon6c-f likes this.
  10. telecopy

telecopy

Dec 6, 2009
    USA
  11. ThuzzleFump

ThuzzleFump All your bass...

Nov 15, 2015
    California
    "Old bat" doesn't exactly sound complimentary. Just saying.

12. Jane was my String Bass instructor in early 1970's. She is truly amazing! When I whined and complained about finger stretches in lower positions, she played her 7/8 scale from high thumb position on G String down to low F on E String..all notes played with vibrato. Then she asked me to place her tiny hand against mine..her hand was so tiny in comparison. Then she slyly asked, " Now what was your complaint again??"

At that time, I owned an Englehardt 3/4 bass, which she scoffed at. She sold me a student grade carved Roth.

I realized I was not going to become a symphonic player, so I quit private lessons..sold my string basses in late 1979.

Her husband Warren[ RIP], was principle flautist with ASO. He carried her bass..she carried his flute..a lovely couple!

KEEP PLAYIN, JANE!!

Last edited: Mar 24, 2016
    Spectrum and Atlanta Dave like this.
  13. When I took lessons from her, the ends of her left fingers were quite round, she called them pads as they were kind of like a frogs "finger" pads.
    She advised me to avoid getting my hands wet or use rubber gloves.

After view in the video, I was shocked to see her use French Bow. She told me "German style" was the preferred bow.. I still have mine.

She mentioned forming a band; using her electric bass. I am very curious as to what electric bass she uses, what amp..effects...OH I WILL TALK HER EARS OFF on that subject!

Saddened to read that she is ill and that her husband, Warren has passed..also a great symphonic player.

Continue to heal and LONG LIVE JANE!!

14. Hambone 70

Hambone 70 Guest

Sep 21, 2012
    Absolutely amazing and inspirational!

15. cocodrilo58

cocodrilo58

Aug 19, 2008
    a great testament that can do do if try!!!!!! 71 years wow!!!!!!! God has been very faithful to her, but she has kept the race!! we would be fortunate to go that long!! playing music!!!!! you go!!!!!

16. cocodrilo58

cocodrilo58

Aug 19, 2008

17. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 2, 2021