Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Atlanta Talk Bassists

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by TBONE64, Mar 1, 2004.

1. TBONE64

TBONE64 Guest

Feb 22, 2002
    Chesterfield, VA
    I am considering relocating to Atlanta and was wondering what the scene is like. I play mostly blues and avant jazz/post rock (Happy Apple, Chicago Underground, Tortoise). Is there a market for either of these styles? What are the clubs like? Is the area dominated by one particular musician, i.e. guitarists? Basically, can a new guy get work and supplement with a day gig? Thanks any help would appreciated.

2. A good place to start would be the various "jam nights". A player with a good ear, tasteful chops and good attitude will always find some work. Whether it's enough to live on will depend on how much you hustle and your standard of living.

Having said that, my take on the current Atlanta music scene is that there are a lot more good players than there are good gigs. I know a few of the top call guys and all of them are teaching more and playing less these days. There's an awful lot of clubs that offer "original" music and pay the musicians next to nothing.