1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Atlanta! What to do?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Flanders, Apr 6, 2006.

1. Flanders

Flanders

Oct 30, 2002
    Reno, NV
    Hey Atlanta people! I am going to be in Atlanta on Monday 4/10 thru Wed 4/12. All day at conferences. I've never been there before. What are some cool things to do in Atl (music venues, or otherwise)?

Is there any action on weeknights? I'm talking about funk/jazz kind of thing. Thanks for any responses.

Flanders

2. Until you said "funk/jazz", I would have recommended "Metalsome Mondays" at the Dark Horse Tavern in the Virginia-Highlands neighborhood. It's heavy metal karoke and damn funny. Blind Willie's is a blues bar in the same neighborhood, but "blues" is a pretty broad category. Some of the acts there are more jazz. Sambuca is pretty good for jazz, but I'm not sure about the early part of the week. If Cooper Tisdale is playing, you definitely want to check him out. It's Brazilian-tinged jazz with a tiny bit of rock thrown in on occasion. The Red Light Cafe is also a good bet for jazz. Sambuca, the Red Light, and Blind Willies all have web sites, so check 'em out.

Also, check out Creative Loafing and The Sunday Paper. They are both weekly free papers that also have an online edition.

3. MJ5150

MJ5150 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Eat at the Marietta Diner. Check out the aquarium. The cool place for gigs seems to be a place called Buckhead. It isn't a particular club, just a 'hood. I believe fellow TB'er j-raj plays clubs up there. The place he plays is something like the Park Bench. I don't remember the exact name.

-Mike

4. Flanders

Flanders

Oct 30, 2002
    Reno, NV
    Thanks. Hopefully, my conferences will let me have some time for some good stuff.