Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

ATM 35 Placement

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by boombloom, Mar 18, 2005.

1. I have just ordered an atm35 and I hope it arrives on time for Saturday's gig. I'm asking folks who have experience with this mic for some guidance regarding placement. I know I'll be messing around with this thing for a long time, but Saturday night I hope to take it straight to the gig, clamp it on, plug it in and play. Any input from talk bass would be appreciated.

Thanks!

2. bassame

bassame

Mar 25, 2004
    Brooklyn NY
    People have tried all kinds of setups with this mic. I found the best sound when I clamped it into the top of the g-side F hole, and turned the mic up towards the fingerboard but somewhat towards the g-side of the bass. You don't want it to pick up sound directly from the F hole, and a bit of fingernoise is nice. The problem with the mic is that the arm is a bit short for the bass, so people have created extension arms that allow them to clamp to the tailpiece and have the mic out a foot or more from the bridge. Ive never tried that.

3. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Does anybody put the mic up between the feet of the bridge?
    I use a sennheisser MD409, and that's where I like the sound, sitting right between the bridge feet, in the U pointing towards the belly.

4. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    The best placement for the best sound on my bass(using an AMT S25B)is about 1" in front of the bridge, and about 1/2" from the top. I just seem to get more clarity and less boomy of a sound there.

5. Monte

Monte

Jan 9, 2001
    New Albany, MS
    That's what Lynn Seaton does. His is suspended via a cloth bag with elastic ties his wife made him.

I've been tempted to try this with my AKG C3000, but haven't come up with a solution to hold it there.

6. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    This mic does have a short goose neck but you can get around that by placing velcro on the outside part of the clamp and placing the opposite piece on the underside of the end of the fingerboard. If you do this you can clamp it to the top of the tailpiece or you can velcro clamp it to the end of the fingerboard giving you more options with respect to placement. In the big band I play with, I've gotten the best results with the mic attached to the tailpiece with the mic 1" to .5" from the top and I'm using a hypercardiod element with it.

7. jonas

jonas

Dec 9, 2003
    Frankfurt am Main/Germany
    Lando Music (Germany)
    I use a small steel strip, attached to tailpiece, to clamp the microphone on: see picture ... (BTW, I prefer the Audix microphone shown in the picture over the ATM35)

Attached Files:

8. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    I have had VERY good results the past couple times out using my Audix ADX20i. I bought it as the Micro-D rather than the clip style, so it came with a steel gooseneck. It is the same mic as the ADX20i with the hypercardioid element.

I cut about a 3" length of 3/4"x3/4" wood and drilled a hole in the endgrain to match the diameter of the gooseneck. A little black paint and a strip of velco along one side and I have a perfect little rig to suspend it from the back edge of the fingerboard.

I have been getting a good sound with a nice balance of boom and articulation with the mic over the top half do the G-side ff hole turned about 45 degrees away from the table to the bridge side.