1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Atomic Amplifire Bass Box at NAMM

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by jimfist, Jan 20, 2019.

1. jimfist

jimfist "Cling tenaciously to my buttocks!"

Mar 28, 2011
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Great! Interested in hearing other opinions about the Bass Box and how it's being used.

BrentSimons likes this.
  2. Agosix

Agosix Supporting Member

May 7, 2013
    Woodhaven NY
    You wouldn’t to happen to know if the box itself can store more than 1 configuration after setting it up in the editor?

3. scjurgen

scjurgen

Apr 26, 2019
    Atomic Amps, Agosix and jimfist like this.
  4. jimfist

Mar 28, 2011
    Boston, MA (USA)
    The storage of 3 discrete settings only applies to the Amp Modeling/Cab IR combinations, as programmed in the editor, and accessed on the pedal via the Amp/Cab Mode switch. Beyond that, there are no memory "presets" for any of the other editor functions. It just retains the settings you've made in the editor.

It wouldn't break my heart to see a few memory allocations for editor configurations, but no way to access those settings on the pedal itself w/out the software editor. And I think there's a point where going to crazy with programming starts to get away from the design intent of the pedal, but that's JMO.

5. scubaduba

scubaduba Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Dec 23, 2003
    Michigan
    Yeah, I agree. There is already a ton of flexibility as is. At some point it becomes more for the sake of more...

Atomic Amps and jimfist like this.
  6. scubaduba

Dec 23, 2003
    Michigan
    I'm increasingly impressed with this device. The amount of configurable tonal options is impressive and despite all of the dials and switches it is highly usable.

7. Agosix

Agosix Supporting Member

May 7, 2013
    Woodhaven NY
    Atomic Amps likes this.
  8. Agosix

Agosix Supporting Member

May 7, 2013
    Woodhaven NY
    Ok I see as per scjurgen mentioned above that the three presets can be altered in editor and stored. That will be tonight’s experiment after work. Thanks guys!

9. scjurgen

scjurgen

Apr 26, 2019
    Remember, only AMP and CAB are affected by that switch/programming. IMHO enough to get not confused and covering all tones you need as a bass player for a session, recording or even a gig. I think with new gear you get always through the same phases: confusion, exploring, pushing to the edge, learning how it feels and then going back to the really working basics and just using it as the most normal device in the world without even thinking about it.

Agosix and Atomic Amps like this.
  10. Agosix

Agosix Supporting Member

May 7, 2013
    Woodhaven NY
    What I intend to try is keeping the clean setting and then having just 1 or 2 options for amps only without cabs. As for recording purposes the box in its original setting would do really well for the ampeg type of tones.

jimfist likes this.
  11. jimfist

Mar 28, 2011
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Yes. I have the stock Amp/Cab modes as:
    Mode1: Solid State Amp, 1x12 cab IR
    Mode2: Tube Amp, 4x10 cab IR
    Mode3: SVT Amp, SVT 8x10 cab IR

tedsalt and Agosix like this.
  12. Agosix

Agosix Supporting Member

May 7, 2013
    Woodhaven NY
    Ok I got the hang of it now. With that kind of versatility it works great with my Quilter BB 800...and that’s what I wanted...it all works out really good. Thanks guys!

jimfist likes this.
  13. scubaduba

Dec 23, 2003
    Michigan
    I really like the "DI" amp sim. Has a nice feel to it.

14. ferndog32

ferndog32

Sep 4, 2006
    Tucson
    Just got my invite to buy! I joined the waiting list on 4/23/20.

Zymba, jimfist and scubaduba like this.
  15. scubaduba

Dec 23, 2003
    Michigan
    Congrats!

BrentSimons likes this.
  16. Zymba

Zymba

Nov 14, 2019
    Me too. Placed my order. Similar time for me joining the waitlist although I emailed Atomic just yesterday for an update. They responded almost immediately too.

BrentSimons and jimfist like this.
  17. jimfist

Mar 28, 2011
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Here's an excellent video of the Bass Box by the one and only Pete Thorn, giving us a proper hands on demo:

Good stuff!

18. Zymba

Zymba

Nov 14, 2019
    Yeah...

The sounds are excellent. I love that tube amp setting. It has nice openness to it. I'm assuming these were out-of-the-box settings so I think that's paired with the 4x10 cab. Damn. I'm really excited about the compressor/limiter section, actually. I'll bet you can get a nice approximation of that pushed tube amp sound with sag when you push it...and the eq section...yeah. I still can't believe how many features they crammed into this piece. Thanks for sharing!

19. scubaduba

Dec 23, 2003
    Michigan
    The tube amp sounds fantastic. I also really like the DI amp sim.

20. bassgiant15

bassgiant15 Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses

Dec 19, 2005
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses
    I just joined the waiting list.

I currently have an MXR M80, B7k, and a Fractal AX8 that use for recording and live. I also love using the VBA Pro plugin also when recording. If the bass box can get the VBA Pro sound I want it! Some of the clips posted by jimfist were really good!!!

is this pedal quite different from the B7k? I know this has IR capabilities so that is one difference. I’m just curious if it will be a good addition to what I already have. Again if it sounds like the VBA plugin...me wants it!!!

jimfist likes this.