1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Atomic Amplifire Bass Box at NAMM

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by jimfist, Jan 20, 2019.

1. 5StringPocket

5StringPocket Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2006
    Texas
    Reservation submitted... Any thoughts about adding a switchable -6dB/octave high pass filter at 80 to 90 Hz to remove boom and tighten up the low end. This would especially help in live situations with problem rooms or if the subs are too hot. My Noble has one and it's quite useful.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2020
    jimfist likes this.
  2. jimfist

jimfist "Cling tenaciously to my buttocks!"

Mar 28, 2011
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Thanks for the kind words. I think the Bass Box is far more versatile than any of the individual pedals you have. Of course the Fractal AX8 is a different animal altogether, but you may find the Bass Box easier to dial in than the AX8, myself being a former AxeFxII owner. The Bass Box is pretty well dialed in for the tonal needs of a bassist IMO.

I've tried a few times to bond with modeled B7k simulations (via multi-fx) and can't seem to get there. I briefly owned the B3k and flipped it after a couple gigs. Just not my cup of tea. For me, the Bass Box has a number of totally different sweet spots that can take your tone from old-school vintage to modern medal pretty easily, once you get to understand how each set of "modes" behaves.

bassgiant15 and Agosix like this.
  3. jimfist

Mar 28, 2011
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I agree with this. It would be ideal to have this as a selectable switch in the editor. I've wondered if this could be addressed on the back end, as a provided Hi-pass IR option in lieu of using a traditional speaker cabinet sim IR. Also, the 4-band EQ's lowest frequency (Bass) knob is at 80Hz, which could be used to dial out rumble.

5StringPocket and bassgiant15 like this.
  4. bassgiant15

bassgiant15 Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses

Dec 19, 2005
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses
    Many thanks for the reply!
    Are you using a Wal in those clips you posted? Sounds good!
    The Fractal for me is mainly for guitars, but i use it for bass a bit. I'm mainly looking for an all direct solution for live gigs (once that starts again). The MXR M-80 to me has been the best of all the DI pedals i have tried. I owned a Sansamp BDDI once also, but sold it after awhile. Just to kind of give an example. This is the tone i am going for (attached). One is a mix and the other is just drums and bass, but i used VBA Pro here in this clip. I just made up a repetitive riff here so excuse the garbage haha!

I'm hoping that the Bass Box can get this sound. I did add some post processing however to the bass, but it was mainly EQ and compression

Attached Files:

BrentSimons likes this.
  5. 5StringPocket

5StringPocket Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2006
    Texas
    Locating the HPF in one of the selectable IR slots is a clever solution that I don’t think should require any other modification. :thumbsup:

JmJ and jimfist like this.
  6. jimfist

Mar 28, 2011
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Funny, but I didn't do any of the recordings using my Wal bass but I should do some when I get the chance. Been strapped for time lately. The Wal is a different animal, and sounds so good by itself that I generally tend to NOT use any effects when playing it.

Recordings were of my Ibanez Mikro 4 string, Schecter Studio Elite 4 string, and Sterling Ray 34 CA 4 string. I felt that the Bass Box really made a significant improvement to the tone of these basses.

BrentSimons and bassgiant15 like this.
  7. jimfist

Mar 28, 2011
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Listened to the clips and I'm pretty certain that you'll be happy with the Bass Box for these kinds of tones, which are right up my alley. Nicely done, and I dig that tone! Sounds to me like you might want to start with the 3 band EQ (para mid) with the SVT (Mode 3) amp/cab combination. The sweepable mid helps dial in the sweet spot for the hi-mid that's really prevalent in that type of sound. I'm also a big fan of the Dynamics mode 2, with the knee open to about 2 o'clock and limiter around 9 o'clock.

I found that for heavier tones with a little OD and clang, the Boost needed to be adjusted to my taste in the software editor, and also with the physical input pad engaged to give me more range of use of the Boost and Compressor functions.

bassgiant15 likes this.
  8. bassgiant15

Dec 19, 2005
    Wow my ears got fooled then!!! hahahaha! I'm guessing this track is the Sterling then? If so, i really dig the tone (linked below)! I used to own a Stingray, but after playing a Spector i just couldn't go back. Still like the tone of the Stingray (it's classic), but the Spector body shape is the best there is in my opinion. It's really hard for me to play anything else now. This tone i linked below is probably my fav of the ones that you posted.

"Listened to the clips and I'm pretty certain that you'll be happy with the Bass Box for these kinds of tones, which are right up my alley. Nicely done, and I dig that tone! Sounds to me like you might want to start with the 3 band EQ (para mid) with the SVT (Mode 3) amp/cab combination. The sweepable mid helps dial in the sweet spot for the hi-mid that's really prevalent in that type of sound. I'm also a big fan of the Dynamics mode 2, with the knee open to about 2 o'clock and limiter around 9 o'clock.

I found that for heavier tones with a little OD and clang, the Boost needed to be adjusted to my taste in the software editor, and also with the physical input pad engaged to give me more range of use of the Boost and Compressor functions."

Many thanks for the tips!!! Geez i wish i had one of those pedals now haha! I am on the list, so hopefully they will let me know soon when one is available.

jimfist likes this.
  9. jimfist

Mar 28, 2011
    Boston, MA (USA)
    The clip you liked (track 3) was actually my Schecter Stiletto Studio Elite. You're not the first person who has mistaken that bass in a recording for my Wal bass. That's also why it's dawned on me that you don't necessarily need to have a boutique instrument to get satisfying tones. I've owned a number of these Schecters over the years, and this one is the keeper. Pretty good bass for reasonable $$$.

BrentSimons, Zymba and bassgiant15 like this.
  10. bassgiant15

Dec 19, 2005
    man that’s really interesting! I may have to try one of those Basses out!!!!

jimfist likes this.
  11. So, there’s no “GAIN” knob for the amp tones? Maybe I’m confused.... what if it needs a little more/less of gain/grind?

12. jimfist

Mar 28, 2011
    Boston, MA (USA)
    The BOOST knob on the pedal controls the amount of gain/drive distortion applied when the Boost switch is on. Further, in the software editor, there is a LEVEL setting which adjusts the volume of the BOOST when engaged.

Agosix likes this.
  13. Ohhh I didn't realize you had a Wal @jimfist ? Can i have it? :)

bassgiant15 and jimfist like this.
  14. jimfist

Mar 28, 2011
    Boston, MA (USA)
    source.gif

:laugh:

15. right.... just assumed you’d be able to control the gain/push/dirt of the amp eq.

16. jimfist

Mar 28, 2011
    Boston, MA (USA)
    There is no specific knob or parameter that controls the "drive" of the amp section. It's static, with selectable modes (solid state, tube, SVT, etc.). So if you want more 'grind', the only place to get it is in the Boost section, which is akin to front end drive rather than back end, pushed power tubes.

bassgiant15 and henryjurstin13 like this.
  17. bassgiant15

Dec 19, 2005
    Anyone get an invite to purchase the pedal recently? Just curious if/when they are shipping. I put my name on the waiting list.

18. Antman3820

Antman3820 Supporting Member

Feb 27, 2005
    Toms River, NJ
    Received my email last night. $100 off and placed my order. Can’t wait to dive in !!!

jimfist and bassgiant15 like this.
  19. bassgiant15

Dec 19, 2005
    I just got mine too!!! Sweet!
    Time to pull the trigger!

jimfist and Antman3820 like this.
  20. bassgiant15

Dec 19, 2005
    Pulled the trigger! Now the waiting begins...