1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Atomic Amplifire Bass Box at NAMM

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by jimfist, Jan 20, 2019.

1. cableguy

cableguy

Jun 4, 2009
    North Bend, WA
    I heard some of your recordings over in the Spector group. Great job BTW. My DI pedals as of now include, Tech 21 BDDI & DP-3X, with a Darkglass X-7 thrown in for good measure. I have a Tech21 RK5 & Line 6 HD300 for guitar duties. (at home as I'm a hack on guitar:D) In the words of U2, I still haven't found what I'm looking for. If the bass box, can get me by with a few other pedals in the bass realm, I can get by with my RK5 for guitars. Which will mean I can stop waiting for a FM3 to magically appear.:thumbsup:

BrentSimons and bassgiant15 like this.
  2. bassgiant15

bassgiant15 Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2005
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses
    many thanks for the compliment! I’m writing and recording for a new project currently.
    I think you will love the bass box! I had a sansamp and it got rather I’ve picky for me in the highs. I have a b7k and it’s ok. I love the mxr m-80 I have. I’ve used that for years but to my ears the bass box is a complete package. With the cab sim, distortion, and on board compression. It’s a winner in my book! The tones you can get from it are unlike any I’ve gotten from any other pedal. I’m really happy I got one! I think you will dig it!

I wanted to try a DP-3X at some point but haven’t got around to it.

BrentSimons and jimfist like this.
  3. jimfist

jimfist "Cling tenaciously to my buttocks!"

Mar 28, 2011
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I'm long in the tooth with bass modeling/cab simulation, starting with the BDDI a long, long time ago. Since then, I've gone through the AxeFxII, original Amplifire 3 button (before they added the SVT model), Zoom B3/B3n/G5n, Darkglass B3k, and Line 5 HX Stomp.

What I really like about the Bass Box vs. those products is that the Bass Box has struck an excellent balance between the limitations of dedicated knobs & switches vs. broad flexibility and variety of tone found in multi-effects units.

With the Bass Box, I got up and running very quickly with a variety of very satisfying, high quality tones. It's been a breeze compared to the trials and tribulations of tweaking other multi-fx/modelers, or on the other hand, having to deal with the frustrating limitations of 'dedicated' one-trick preamp pedals.

4. Antman3820

Antman3820 Supporting Member

Feb 27, 2005
    Toms River, NJ
    Got 3 church services this week at church. Going over songs with the Bass Box....Love it. Bring this and a tuner and I'm set. Customizing the output signal is a fantastic idea. Using the software editor is another wonderful feature. No regrets

5. Antman3820

Feb 27, 2005
    Toms River, NJ

Great point. My guitar player just got the Strymon Iridium. He too has used the Axe FX, Kemper, but he loves having the simplicity and awesome tone of the Iridium. Just a few knobs and switches and he has great tone. This concept led me to check out the Bass Box. Plug in, dial up a great tone and go.

bassgiant15, jimfist and cableguy like this.
  6. bassgiant15

Dec 19, 2005
    Messed around with the Bass Box and my NS2. Loving the tones so far! Here are a few clips of the tones.

Attached Files:

7. cableguy

cableguy

Jun 4, 2009
    North Bend, WA
    Damn, sounds great. Definitely a Spector! (props for the AIC rif) How long was it from when you sent in your request until you were able to purchase & receive the Bass box? As you can see I'm impatient.......:D Too much waiting lately. Waiting on my Fractal FM3 invite, waiting on the Atomic Bassbox invite, waiting to get me DP-3X back from being modified. Enough to drive a guy crazy........

jimfist, bassgiant15 and BrentSimons like this.
  8. cableguy

cableguy

Jun 4, 2009
    North Bend, WA
    Do these clips have any other processing going on? Or are they all just Spector>Bassbox>DAW?

bassgiant15 likes this.
  9. bassgiant15

Dec 19, 2005
    Yup! I'm so sold on this pedal!!! I've finally found my DI box in the Bass Box! THIS IS my sound now!

I believe it took a couple of months to get my invite. I actually put in two invites because i was worried it didn't take the first one hahaha!

These clips were direct in. Spector>Bass Box>interface>Cubase...nothing else.
    I thought about putting a limiter on to bring up the volume, but didn't with these.

My buddy just got his FM3 invite. He got it Thursday and bought it..tracking said it would be there the following Tuesday!!! He is stoked! The waiting game sucks i know! I had to do it with this pedal but it was SO worth the wait!!!

BrentSimons, cableguy and jimfist like this.
  10. jimfist

Mar 28, 2011
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I've finally got a live performance (nightclub) tonight, maiden voyage for the Bass Box. I hope to have enough of an extended sound check to really get a bearing on how it sounds totally DI through full sound reinforcement. Most likely, I'll be concentrating on my go-to SVT amp/cab model, and we'll see where things settle in with the EQ, Boost and Dynamics modes. Starting point will be FET Boost, Mode 2 Dynamics, Mode 2 EQ (mid sweep), but I'll be experimenting with other settings as time allows.

bassgiant15, BrentSimons and cableguy like this.
  11. cableguy

cableguy

Jun 4, 2009
    North Bend, WA
    Looking forward to your thoughts. Recording with it is one thing, live is a different animal sometimes. Are you using a FRFR speaker or in-ears? It's been great that both you & bassgiant15 have had experience with Fractal Audio products and have such great things to say about the Bassbox. From the email I received from Atomic Amps (not my invite) I should be expecting my Bassbox invite in around a week. Super stoked.

bassgiant15, BrentSimons and jimfist like this.
  12. jimfist

Mar 28, 2011
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I typically bring enough onstage monitoring to fill my area of the stage, either in the form of an Atomic CLR or two, but sometimes I use an amp head and bass cabs. All of my stage monitors are full range, coaxial speakers. No IEM for me. On odd occasions, I'll not bring any stage monitors and have them pump me through stage monitor wedges when I know they're capable.

I'll have something to post tomorrow for sure. I'm hoping to get through all 3 stock amp/cab sims during sound check.

bassgiant15, BrentSimons and cableguy like this.
  13. jimfist

Mar 28, 2011
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Thumbs up using the Bass Box at last night's gig. Simple setup, bass into BassBox, XLR out (all simulations engaged) to FOH mixer. I didn't have as much time as I'd hoped to experiment with all 3 amp/cab mode combinations, so I stuck with mode 3 SVT amp/8x10, which is what I'd typically use anyway, mostly rock, hard rock and metal cover tunes.

Once I got things dialed in , there was very little that needed to be done to the sound during sound check. Just some minor adjustment to the mid-band frequency and general mode 2 compressor settings, but I wound up pretty much where the settings are shown on this soundcloud clip, with the mids dialed back a little from what's shown:

For a couple tunes, Boost mode 3 (tube) was engaged to add some noticeable distortion to the sound, and sounded spot on. (I do wish that the editor's Blend feature could be located at the Boost, before Dynamics and EQ, so that when engaged, the Boost drive simply lays on top of the existing 'clean' tone. Not a big deal, though.

There was also some dodgy electricity in the stage outlets, solved by engaging the ground lift switch.

The fact that I was able to pretty much set and forget during performance speaks well of the Bass Box, given this was its maiden voyage and I tend to be picky about my live tone. After the gig, I really grilled the sound mixer about what he thought of the bass tone in the PA, and he said it sounded great.

[Side note: this sound mixer noted that he doesn't have the problem of over-hyped low end coming off my bass DI feed, which evidently, he encounters often when a bassist insists on sending a DI feed of their bass head. When modeled tones are properly crafted using good quality full-range speakers for monitoring, you're doing yourself and the sound mixer a big favor, making their life easier, with a faster route to a mix-ready bass tone.]

14. cableguy

cableguy

Jun 4, 2009
    North Bend, WA
    Glad thigs worked out well with the maiden voyage of the Bassbox Jimfist. I'm (im)patiently waiting for my invite. On top of it being a great practice tool with the aux-in & headphone out, I can't wait to feed it to my big fEARful.:bassist:

bassgiant15, BrentSimons and jimfist like this.
  15. bassgiant15

Dec 19, 2005
    Glad to hear the gig went well @jimfist !

Like you said, I REALLY wish the boost (when engaged) laid on top of the clean signal or had the ability to blend it in with the clean signal. I like the boost, but it is almost unusable to me because it just overpowers the clean signal. I'm going to reach out to Atomic and see if this is a possibility somehow or if it just is the way it is.

jimfist and Antman3820 like this.
  16. Antman3820

Feb 27, 2005
    Toms River, NJ
    Wondering if there would be a way to load a cabinet IR from Other companies like Dr Bonkers, Ownhammer, Redwirez,etc.
    maybe over time Atomic can offer other cabinet amp combos via the Bassbox software.

Love this unit !

17. bassgiant15

Dec 19, 2005
    I believe you can swap the IRs in the unit with the software from Atomic. I still need to try this sometime.

jimfist likes this.
  18. bassgiant15

Dec 19, 2005
    So, i threw together a quick mix using the BB and my NS-4 bass. Also, just played a few Tool riffs for fun as well. The track is very much a WIP...very unfinished. I decided to throw some percussion elements in the mix of this one as well. I always loved that tribal kind of sound. Hope you all dig it!

Attached Files:

19. jimfist

Mar 28, 2011
    Boston, MA (USA)
    As mentioned by @bassgiant15 , the software editor allows you to select 3rd party IRs to load into the cab section of each of the 3 amp/cab model "modes", which act as amp/cab model combination presets. I've loaded Redwirez, Dr. Bonkers, and Ownhammer IRs into my Bass Box to audition various cab IRs. Worked flawlessly.

5StringPocket and cableguy like this.
  20. Antman3820

Feb 27, 2005
    Toms River, NJ
    Thank you for the info. Going to have some fun testing out different IR’s I have.

cableguy, bassgiant15 and jimfist like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 19, 2021