1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Atomic Amplifire Bass Box at NAMM

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by jimfist, Jan 20, 2019.

1. Love it! Perfect amount of crunch for me. Great playing!
    Stay healthy,
    Brent

jimfist likes this.
  2. jimfist

jimfist "Cling tenaciously to my buttocks!"

Mar 28, 2011
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Thank you, and you too! I'm hoping to post up some "polite" bass tones, as well as some very "angry" bass tones soon.

3. jacoby75

jacoby75

Mar 11, 2010
    Coldwater, MI
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Guitars, DR Strings
    Great tone(s)!

jimfist likes this.
  4. Man oh man do I love these tones.

jimfist likes this.
  5. jimfist

Mar 28, 2011
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Thanks @Daniel Piper ! My only regret now is that I'm unable to gig these tones until the virus crisis lets up.
    There are so many great options, I'm still getting to learn a lot about the nuances of this pedal. Atomic/Studio Devil really did a great job. You can do quick set-and-forget, or get into some surgical fine-tuning. The best part is that most everything is on board knobs and switches. Newfound appreciation for that.

BrentSimons likes this.
  6. Yip! I do not have the patience or intestinal fortitude for menu diving on a pedal. Cant/wont do it. With its knobs and switches, and really simple looking PC UI - This is looking more and more like me.

I am currently thinking Bass Box + Baby Sumo to go into my NV215 (which I currently dont have an amp for)

Inara, BrentSimons and jimfist like this.
  7. dax21

dax21

Nov 26, 2011
    Serbia
    That sounds.... really really great. But to be honest a lot of it is in the bass, that clean tone is insane.

BrentSimons likes this.
  8. jimfist

Mar 28, 2011
    Boston, MA (USA)
    The computer software is really simple and used for one-time or secondary under-the-hood settings (Boost level, Blend, changing cabinet IRs, routing paths for the outputs). I agree with your approach 100%, and I'm doing something very similar but with different amp/cab components.

In the scope of bass preamp pedals, I really don't see anything - other than full-blown multi-fx modelers - that has so many on board options and features, at this general price point and level of quality. Certainly there are pedals that give you a Boost drive, compression, EQ, cab sims, and various output interface configurations, but the Bass Box gives you 3 Boost choices, 3 comp/limiter choices, 3 EQ choices, and 3 amp/cab configurations, not to mention selectable tap points for the two main outputs. Its like having a number of different pedals once you account for the various configurations. Very cool.

Daniel Piper and BrentSimons like this.
  9. Yip it really looks and sounds like the real deal. I kinda feel bad for raggin' on it being late now...

BrentSimons and jimfist like this.
  10. jimfist

Mar 28, 2011
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I don't know about insane, but do agree with you that you have to have a reasonably good starting point, otherwise it's an exercise in polishing a turd, right?

One of the basses is a short scale, beginner model Ibanez Mikro. Build quality is YUCK, but when I auditioned it in the store (on my lunch break, killing time), I honestly couldn't believe the sounds I could get from that $150 bass (I think the price has gone up). I don't know what it is, but man. I did have to take some time fine tuning the action and intonation, but that's all. It's stock.

The other bass is definitely more legit: the Schecter Stiletto Studio 4. Covers a lot of ground I really like the feel of that bass. I auditioned quite a few of them before I found one that had a little more of the "it" sound to it.

The other part of the equation is that I've been gigging for a long, long time, and it's sort of forced me to make sure that I can still perform and get a reasonable sound using nothing but my bass and a DI into PA system if needed...and I've done just that a number of times.

I've been through a lot of modeling products for bass, and this Bass Box is by FAR the best thing I've come across with respect to pure focus on bass, and specific options that are really dialed-in for bass across a broad spectrum of usage needs.

dr bonkers, BrentSimons and dax21 like this.
  11. How are the compressors treating you on the bass box?

I dont recall seeing you on the compressor-cork-sniffing threads on TB

BrentSimons likes this.
  12. jimfist

Mar 28, 2011
    Boston, MA (USA)
    The compressors are really good on the Bass Box IMHO, well-executed and good choices. I've been on the cork-sniffer comp/limiter threads, but not so much lately. It seems like every day there's a new compression question, and I've grown tired of rehashing the recurring questions and problems. (IMO there ought to be a specific Compressor/Limiter section of the forums, between pedal comps in the Effects forum, and also in the Live Sound forum.)

Years ago, my live rig rack had an Empirical Labs EL 8 Distressor (I owned a pair for my home studio). Boy, did that ever spoil me! As for the Bass Box dynamics processors, they've done a good job designing them for 2 knob operation. I typically don't dial them in until I'm happy with all my other settings. I gravitate toward Mode 1 (dbx 160A) and mode 2 (limiter) most of the time, and set them as only slight enhancements, with the result being only mildly discernible (slightly less edgy, more consistent and "glued" together). Unfortunately, I haven't progressed past Mode 2 on to Mode 3, so I'll have to learn up on that setting. You'd find Mode 1 to be familiar. Mode 2 is a bit different, and in a good way. It can do some very interesting things to the sound.

The compression activity LED works in conjunction with input overload warning. I have the input pad engaged FWIW. Without the pad, the Boost and Dynamics (comp/lim) get slammed so that there's no headroom.
    From the owner's manual:

The right LED will turn on YELLOW to let you know the unit is active. If this LED briefly
    flashes red, this is normal and indicates that your compressor mode is entering a compression /
    limiting mode. If this LED blinks red in rapid succession for a few seconds, this indicates that you are
    overloading the input. You can remedy this by trying to lower the output level knob until the clipping
    goes away. Otherwise, you may need to activate the input pad by pressing in the Input Sensitivity
    button next to the input jack. This will lower the input level to the Bass Box.

13. That's what I'm talking about; hearing tones that will sound good when tracking. Nice job. Now do some finger-style.

BrentSimons and jimfist like this.
  14. jimfist

Mar 28, 2011
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Thanks.
    Yeah, finger-style coming as well as some boost overdrive stuff.

BrentSimons and keith rosier like this.
  15. Bassist30

Bassist30 Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2004
    NEW YORK
    I think you nailed it. Sounds very good.

jimfist and BrentSimons like this.
  16. Bassist30

Bassist30 Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2004
    NEW YORK
    Curious what this thread and members think of the API Tranzformer LX. Having an API in a box with eq and compression. I know it has not a broad eq or compression capabilities but its an API and that says a lot.

17. jimfist

Mar 28, 2011
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Thanks!
    API makes great stuff. I don't have any first-hand experience with the Tranzformer LX. There may be some posting on this thread who have posted elsewhere on the forum...search Tranzformer and you'll see a bunch of threads.

18. jimfist

Mar 28, 2011
    Boston, MA (USA)
  19. Listened using my Audio Technical's M50 headphones, the Angry FET sounded tight and punchy. Awesome.

jimfist and scjurgen like this.
  20. Nicely done.

jimfist and scjurgen like this.