Atomship-The Crash of '47

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Rumzini, May 26, 2005.

1. Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    I was cruising through the other day and stumbled across these guys...liked the samples, went right to BestBuy and got it.....WHOOOOA!!!!!!!! I've been in this TOOL mode lately...Laterlus hasn't left my cd player in about a month! Then I put this in....great vocals, somewhat unique....drummer is great, plenty of time changes...everything is just huge and atmospheric....just what I needed.

On a sidenote I also previewed an acoustic album from a band called Opeth. Really liked the samples but nobody in town has it. I listened to some other album from them and holy beejeezus....360 degree turn....that low growly death vocals that I really can't stand. The acoustic album sounded beautiful. What gives???
  2. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Atomship is a "hometown hero" so to speak. I know they are MS natives. The song Whitfield refers to a mental help facility in Pearl, MS. If someone from MS could be the next big thing, it would be them. They have the poppiness, uniqueness, and their drummer is insane. Not the fastest at anything but he is one of the most well-rounded drummers I've ever heard. They called him Superman in his hometown because he could do insane stuff with ease that the average drummer dreams of doing. He did an unaccompanied drum solo for ten minutes when I saw them live. He had the style, taste, and technique to keep me riveted the entire time and I normally hate drum solos as a rule. It went everywhere from decently speedy double bass/blast beats to jazzy snare fills.

Basslines are pretty weak, but the git player played them in the studio, so that explains that. Their live bassist is a solid, no frills player that pulls out the occasional cool line.

They are hands down the best pop-metal band I've ever heard.

If you listen to Opeth, you would know that their sound is death metal (the faster portions with the grunt vocals) mixed with the melodic acoustic sections that show off Akerfeldt's singing voice. That album just leaves out the metal.