1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Att: All who own a PF500

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Lark, Dec 30, 2011.

1. Lark

Lark

Aug 19, 2011
    Hey guys.

I'm in the market of purchasing a new rig, and at this stage, I am looking at an ampeg pf500 with either a pf115 or pf210.

Today I went to my local music store to try one out. In terms of the layout of the amp, function, look and most importantly, sound, it was fantastic. I played through the 115 cab.

However, I found with a few settings on the amp that there was alot of unnecessary hum and hiss. On a low volume/gain setting, by turning the treble up almost to full, that there was alot. And also when I raised the gain and volume up past half way on both.

I hope that this is an accurate description as I didn't really feel like I was pushing it too hard. But I feel like on those settings it shouldn't have been doing this. Is this normal for this amp/cab? Is it an inherent problem in these models? Or was it just bad luck with the one that I played (issue)?

Also note that I didn't get a chance to play the 210 cab, only the 115 cab. I ran out of time to try both. :$

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    That is normal for ANY amp. When you turn up the volume on any amp, you also turn up its noise floor. And when you turn up the treble, you also turn up the noise floor for the treble frequencies, which will result in added hiss.

3. Lark

Lark

Aug 19, 2011
    Thanks jimmy.

I know, but I feel like I wasn't pushing it too hard for it to be doing that. It wasn't excessively loud.

Do you think I was doing the wrong thing? It was hissing quite loud compared to amps/cabs I have experienced in the past. Do you have any pointers or advice jimmy? I know your a fan of these rigs...

4. Jimmy is right...

and if then the HF Driver from the Cab is on "Full Level" it will add some Hiss too...at any Amp

5. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Ya, don't run the treble so hot ;)

Really, there's nothing you can do about it other than that. The noise floor is what it is.

6. Duke21

Duke21

Nov 14, 2010
    Narvik, Norway
    This normal for any amp when you sett the treble too high or even presence too high.

7. wonderjosh

wonderjosh

Nov 19, 2009
    Fort Worth, TX
    lol...

Have you ever even owned an amp of any kind?

8. 4-string

4-string

Jul 23, 2006
    Norway
    Cabs don't add hiss, a maxed tweeter setting just lets the hiss come through. ;)

9. Duke21

Duke21

Nov 14, 2010
    Narvik, Norway
    I don't know, a big snake in the cab might create an hiss! :)

10. Lark

Lark

Aug 19, 2011
    Thanks for the advice guys. I will have another play around with the amp, and take more notice this time whilst I'm playing with the settings.

Any suggestions between the pf115 or pf210?

And your a funny wonderjosh...

11. wonderjosh

wonderjosh

Nov 19, 2009
    Fort Worth, TX
    I do my best. ;)

12. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    The two PF cabs sound a lot alike, except the PF115 goes a little lower.

13. open.eadg

open.eadg

Jun 13, 2010
    Hungary
    I just leave the treble knob at 9-11 o'clock, it still gives enough HF content through my 15/6 fEARful, even with a bit of slapping/popping. Never got any hum from the PF-500, yours had some grounding issues, perhaps?

14. ;) That is, what I wanted to say...:)