Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Attaching a Bad Ass II birdge to stock MIM Jazz bass!

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by goat, Jan 18, 2005.

1. goat

goat

Jan 18, 2003
    Bournemouth, England
    Hey guys,

I've just ordered a new Bad Ass and a second hand MIM Jazz on ebay with intent to upgrade the Jazz (my other bass is a stock MM sterling)

I thought the new bridge was a direct replacement, but I've also read a couple of other posts that suggest something is needed "filling in" to fit properly. I know I probably wont be able to do this without messing it up!

But I'd apprieciated it if you could advise me what midifications will be nessesary and any tips you guys have (I've never messed with basses before)

Cheers!

Jim

2. the bad ass II bridge is a DIRECT replacement for a standard MIM/MIA Jazz/Pbass bridge. the only thing you'll have to do is, file the saddles so the strings seat properly. the only fenders i can think of that it wont fit is the deluxe models tha thave string through body, which are attached by 3 screws instead of the normal.

3. goat

goat

Jan 18, 2003
    Bournemouth, England
    That sounds hard :crying:

What kind of file do you suggest, if you could psot a photo that would be great!

And if you could go into any more detail that would be great.

Might be best to take it to professionals?

4. you could do it yourself with a set of small round or v shape files. you just have to file the slot for the string, big enough to hold it in position when playing hard and agressive styles (eg hard picking, slapping, and possibly heavy fingerstlye). you'd have to measure out your string spacing and keep it uniform. easiest way would probably be to string up, tune up, and mark the location of the string as it breaks over the bridge, at the spot you want it to. just try not to get the E and G close to the edge of the fingerboard. standard spacing is 19mm center to center (i think center to center).

perhaps nino will chime in with some words of wisdom since i'm a relative newbie compared to him. nino or hambone! you guys out there?

5. goat

goat

Jan 18, 2003
    Bournemouth, England
    Cheers for the help, anyone else can offer advise?

Thanks!

6. about a month ago there was a thread about someone asking about a BAII... and nino posted apicture or two *i think* of a filed bridge sans strings. do a search in the set up forum for BadAss II or BAII or Leo Quan. and other variants, i'm sure you'll find something

7. goat

goat

Jan 18, 2003
    Bournemouth, England
    I'll have tried that but I'll have another look. Cheers :)

8. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    [​IMG]

Here is a pic I just took. I have to run to pick up my children from school. I'll try to post more when I have a free moment.

9. thanks bro!

10. xfloggingkylex

xfloggingkylex Guest

Jan 21, 2005
    Frederick, MD
    So the BA2 wont fit lets say my american jazz bass? (3 screws in the bridge) man, if so, that has just ruined my week, since I was just about to buy it...

Kyle

11. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    It'll fit, it's just not a direct replacement.

12. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Like Nino said
    It will fit but it defeats the purpuose of having the choice of string thru the body or string thru the bridge. I own many Fenders with deluxe bridges (string thru body) and I can safely say those bridges have no reason to be replaced. I have never had any sort of problem with an MIA dlx bridge. For the record I string all string thru the body basses thru the body and with a Badass II you could not do that.

13. goat

goat

Jan 18, 2003
    Bournemouth, England
    Wow thanks for the replies.

So basically remove strinsgs, unscrew old bridge, insert Badass, screw in, string the bass, play a while til I got some grooves showing me where to file?

14. tappel

tappel

May 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Not only will he have to drill mounting holes, he'll lose the string-through option on the MIA Fender. There are string-through BAII's out there. They don't fit either. :) They're identical to the BAII with additional holes for string-through. Those work nice if you use them on a Fender with the standard 5 hole Fender bridge if you want to make the string-through mod.

Allow me to digress. Does anyone know if Leo Quan debuted the BadAss III at NAMM? THIS is the direct replacement for MIA Fenders. Several months ago I heard that was the plan...

Tom

15. goat

goat

Jan 18, 2003
    Bournemouth, England
    OK I have to admit I am confused by this (clueless first time modder)

I havent actually got the BAII too yet so I can't look at it, but how will I know where to put grooves?

16. tappel

tappel

May 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Sorry if my post confused you; I was referring to someone else's reply regarding an American Fender.

A BadAss II will fit your MIM perfectly, just needs the saddle slots to be filed (I know I'm repeating what's already been said). You say you ordred a new bridge? In that case, I'd suggest that you have a qualified technician do the slots. It's a simple/inexpensive job for someone with the right tools and experience. Again I'm repeating, but, if you've never done it before, you risk screwing up a new bridge. I've seen lots of BAII hack jobs; most of them wind up on eBay. :)

Tom

17. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    This is the post that sidetracked us, We were speaking to this poster and not the thread starter.
    The BAII bridge directly replaced the bridge in my MIM dlx bass without modifications. A direct fit, screw holes and all. I did have to file the saddles. Hope that clears up any confusion.

18. goat

goat

Jan 18, 2003
    Bournemouth, England
    Yeah thanks, defo gonna take it to a pro and get a set up at the same time.

Radnom but how do you have your MIM Jazz's setup?

I have a MM Sterling with quite a bassy punchy tone at the mo so something a lil different would be nice, if you can suggest strings too. I'm using DR highbeams on the Sterling.